KP industrialists exploiting workforce, says labour leader
NOWSHERA: Muttahida Labour Federation on Monday said that 80 percent of the industrial units in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa were exploiting the workforce.
Speaking at a press conference here, the federation’s provincial president Muhammad Iqbal said the labourers were underpaid and forced to work for 12 hours daily. He criticised the government for being unable to mitigate the sufferings of the labour class.
Muhammad Iqbal said the human rights organisations were also uninterested in highlighting the plight of the poor labourers in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.He said the Labour Department had become dormant and failed to work for the welfare of the poor strata of the society.
The labour leader accused the department officials of taking bribe from industrialists to protect their interests and exploit labourers.He said the labour laws had been made ineffective due to the corruption of the officials at the department.
Muhammad Iqbal said that labourers were not given contracts, which was the main cause of exploitation. He alleged that workers were deprived of social security and other benefits.
He expressed concern at the failure of the government to check exploitation of workers at the industrial units.He alleged the Labour Department’s officials were harassing those industrialists who cared for workers and didn’t bribe them.
Muhammad Iqbal stressed the need for introducing legislation for protection of the rights of labourers in the province. He asked the government to enact laws to the benefit of the workers.
The labour leader said several workers of the Lucky Cement Factory, Kohat Cement Factory and other industrial units in Peshawar, Gadoon and Swat had been dismissed for raising voice for their rights.He threatened to launch protest if the demands went unmet.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'