YouTube's monetisation update spurs panic; experts say it's mostly hype
Platform making minor update to its "reused content" policy to clarify what constitutes reused or "overly produced" content
KARACHI: Online video streaming platform YouTube has updated its monetisation policy, but experts say the impact will not be as dire as some on social media platforms have made it out to be.
According to YouTube, it is making a minor update to its ‘reused content’ policy to clarify what constitutes reused or ‘overly produced’ content. The name of this policy has also been changed. Previously referred to as ‘reused content’, it will now be called ‘inauthentic content’.
Talha Labib, a social media expert who runs a social media marketing agency and manages several YouTube channels, says that the news was blown out of proportion. “The content that YouTube wants to discourage already did not meet its monetisation criteria under existing policies, as the platform only promotes creators who produce original and authentic content.”
“Some creators are concerned that this update would limit their ability to monetise their channels, but that is not the case. There are many YouTube channels that spread fake or inauthentic news or use inappropriate language. The platform regularly takes action against them and de-platform them. So, it’s good that people will now be more careful while uploading the content.”
YouTube has uploaded a short update on its YouTube Help page, which says the platform updated its Partner Program monetisation policies on July 15, 2025 to clarify its stance on inauthentic content. While the platform has always required original and authentic uploads, the new guidelines aim to better identify mass-produced and repetitive material that does not meet monetisation standards.
Digital Marketeer and Content Specialist Anusha Asif said that many YouTube channels use clips from other YouTubers for their videos or Shorts. “What is going to happen now is that such accounts will not be able to monetise their content.” But, she added, that original creators will also feel the heat of the new policy. “If clips or content of an original channel is mass-produced, the channel itself could come under YouTube’s scrutiny and may be flagged. This could lead to a shutdown or a ban.”
While Labib was of the view that such strikes are reversible and original creators can restore their accounts, Anusha argued that the restored channels would take some time to gain back the ranking they previously enjoyed.
When the news broke out that the platform was rolling out its YPP update, many initially feared it would demonetise all AI-generated repetitious content, which often includes what is now known as ‘AI slop’. For instance, some channels repeatedly post AI-generated videos that are nearly identical, often copied from similar creators.
Labib said that while “AI videos are still allowed under the new rules. The crackdown would be against deepfakes or other inappropriate content generated through AI.” He added that as creators move to use AI tools for their content, it is important that they give proper disclosures about the use of the new technology to avoid the spread of misleading content.
Tech expert Shahrukh Malik said that “as a consumer, I think [restricting AI-generated content] is great. Sure, there was a time when these videos were amusing but there is too much of them now.”
But, “as a content creator,” he said, “it does limit my options. A lot of people earned a lot of money from the videos that will now be restricted. Now they have to work harder in an already very competitive space. Also, this kind of starts a reinforcement learning-like war between content creators and YouTube. Creators will try to invent ways to circumvent this demonetisation and YouTube will invent ways to capture their new ways.”
-
'Call Me Daddy' Host Alex Cooper, Husband Matt Kaplan Announce New Milestone After Two Years -
Study Reveals Watermelon May Boost Heart Health And Diet Quality -
Savannah Guthrie's Sister Annie Leaves Home As Search For Nancy Continues -
‘Up For A Fight’: Lisa Nandy Says It’s A Personal Decision For Starmer To Face Leadership Contest -
White House Dresses Trump As James Bond In Bizarre New Photo -
Star Trek's George Takei Leaning On Spouse Amid Health Setbacks At 89 -
College Grads Still Have Lowest Unemployment Rate, Data Shows -
Old Trafford Set To Say A Heartfelt Goodbye To Casemiro Against Nottingham Forest -
'Make England Great Again': Tens Of Thousands March In London To Step Down Starmer -
Does Prince William Want To Take The Throne From Terminally Ill Charles? ‘One Might Be Surprised’ -
Manchester United Beat Nottingham Forest In Nail-biting Thriller -
Meghan Markle Has Blackmail Material Against King Charles: ‘Not Bound By NDAs’ -
Trump Advisers Fear Xi Could Target Taiwan Within 5 Years -
Keanu Reeves Teams Up With Japanese Director For New Film -
Was Windsor Castle Security Put At Risk? Buckingham Palace Declines To Comment -
Louisiana Senator Shock: Bill Cassidy Eliminated In First Round Of Primary