NA panel assails ‘disrespectful’ behaviour of KE CEO
Situation escalated when committee members questioned why K-Electric had not withdrawn court cases related to Covid subsidy
ISLAMABAD: A heated exchange in parliament on Tuesday ended with lawmakers expelling Moonis Alvi, Chief Executive Officer of K-Electric, from a National Assembly committee meeting for what they called “disrespectful and defiant behavior” toward elected representatives and decided to move a privilege motion against him.
The uproar occurred during a meeting of the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Industries and Production, which had summoned Alvi to brief members on the progress of Covid-era industrial subsidies provided to Karachi’s industries. However, tensions flared before the agenda even began.
Alvi objected to the committee’s decision to allow online participation for representatives of the Karachi Chamber of Commerce and other industrial bodies a facility not extended to him. “Why wasn’t I given this Zoom option?” he asked at the outset, triggering irritation among the members.
The situation escalated when committee members questioned why K-Electric had not withdrawn court cases related to the Covid subsidy. Alvi bluntly responded, “I cannot withdraw the cases,” further angering lawmakers who accused him of defying parliamentary authority. “This attitude toward parliamentarians is unacceptable,” said one MNA. “If this is how the CEO treats elected representatives, it is very clear how he must be treating the ordinary citizens?” MNA Syed Raza Ali Gillani refused to sit in the meeting as long as the K-Electric CEO remained present. Attempts by Alvi to apologise were flatly rejected by the committee and he was asked to leave the room.
The NA panel even refused to accept the chairman’s formal notice of displeasure and insisted on initiating a privilege motion against the KE CEO in the National Assembly. The committee, chaired by Syed Hafeezuddin, declared Alvi’s behavior unprofessional and disrespectful and moved to initiate a privilege motion.
In response to a query on the incident in committee’s proceedings, Spokesperson K-Electric stated, “K-Electric, as a private entity, holds complete respect for the parliament and its esteemed members. What transpired today was unfortunate. Such moments are a cause for pause and reflection for everyone working towards a better Pakistan.”
The NA committee also unanimously decided to table a report in the upcoming NA session opposing the closure of Utility Stores Corporation (USC) to save the jobs of hundreds of employees affected by the decision. It also issued a notice to the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) for failing to implement its recommendation to include the iron and steel sector in the Export Facilitation Scheme (EFS), warning that continued delays are costing the country an estimated $1.5 billion in lost exports. The chairman expressed frustration over FBR’s inaction despite its clear directive to issue a statutory regulatory order (SRO) within two days. Lawmakers noted that FBR’s delay was negatively impacting the broader export sector.
“The FBR is not following our instructions, which is why we are compelled to issue this notice,” said the committee chairman. “Previously, a female officer represented the FBR, then Mr. Faisal kept attending. Today, another official is here, we will tolerate him too,” he added with visible exasperation.
Among the attendees were MNAs Shahid Usman, Kiran Imran Dar, Romina Khurshid Alam, Dr. Mahesh Kumar Malani, Abdul Hakeem Baloch, Dr. Mahreen Razzaq Bhutto, Naz Baloch, Muhammad Mobeen Arif, Muhammad Saad Ullah, Rana Atif, Muhammad Ali Sarfraz, Muhammad Arshad Sahi, and Syed Raza Ali Gillani, along with the Secretary of Industries, representatives from the FBR, MD USC and CEO of K-Electric.
-
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row -
Dove Cameron Calls '56 Days' Casting 'Hollywood Fever Dream' -
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75