Guardiola adamant Man City slump not all about Haaland
LONDON: Pep Guardiola has insisted Erling Haaland alone is not responsible for Manchester City´s dramatic collapse in form this season.
The Premier League champions, on a unprecedented run of four successive English titles, saw their campaign go from bad to worse with a 2-1 loss at Aston Villa on Saturday -- their ninth defeat in 12 matches in all competitions.
The reverse also marked previously prolific striker Haaland´s fifth game without a goal in six matches.
After the game, the Norway international told TNT Sports: “First I´m looking at myself. I haven´t been scoring my chances. I have to do better, I haven´t been good enough.”
City manager Guardiola subsequently defended Haaland, who has scored 108 times for the club since joining in 2022 by saying that “without him we will be even worse” and that “he needs to be delivered the right balls in the right spots”.
Guardiola stuck to his theme on Tuesday during a pre-match press conference ahead of Thursday´s Boxing Day match at home to Everton.
“It´s about us, not just one player,” he said.
“When in the past we score goals and Erling was so prolific, helping us, it was because of the team.
“And when you have problems at the back, in the middle, it is for everyone, it is a team, it is not about one player. It would be easy, if it was just one player, the reason why. It´s not about that.”
The Catalan boss added: “Erling is so important for us, will be so important for us, has been. (We have to) try to do things better, to use him better.
“In this situation, this tendency for all of us (is to say) ´the reason why is this one, and this one and this one´. It´s about us, about everyone. “The guys are running, making effort more than ever. All the tendency ´it´s because we don´t run, because we don´t fight, the reason why is this situation or this player or this manager´... It´s not about that.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'