Senate blocks taxpayer funding for Trump White House ballroom project
rump has previously said private donors would fund the planned $400 million ballroom
A Senate official has ruled against a Republican effort to include taxpayer funding linked to President Donald Trump’s proposed White House ballroom project in a major spending package.
The decision came after Democrats argued that security funding tied to the project did not belong in the bill.
Republicans had sought to use part of a $1 billion allocation for Secret Service security upgrades connected to the overhaul of the White House East Wing.
Trump has previously said private donors would fund the planned $400 million ballroom.
Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough ruled the the provision violated Senate budget rules, Democrats said on Saturday.
The decision blocks Republicans from advancing the funding through the budget reconciliation process without Democratic support.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer celebrated the ruling in a post on X, writing: “Republicans tried to make taxpayers foot the bill for Trump's billion-dollar ballroom. Senate Democrats fought back — and blew up their first attempt.”
“Americans don't want a ballroom. They don't need a ballroom. And they sure as hell should not be forced to pay for one”, he added.
Construction on the East Wing redevelopment began in October. The project has also faced legal challenges from preservation groups seeking to halt further construction.
-
Israeli strikes kill community kitchen workers in Gaza, officials say
-
Canadians receive cash from $500 million bread price-fixing class-action settlement
-
Dangerous storms sweep Midwest and Plains with tornado threat rising
-
French prosecutors probes 10 new suspected Epstein victims
-
Two US Navy jets accidently collided midair during air show in Idaho; rescue operations underway
-
White House unveils US-China agriculture pact after fresh trade talks
-
Bill Cassidy breaks silence on losing Republican primary
-
Italy: PM Meloni visits hospital after Modena car-ramming injures eight
