Mexico oil spill dispute grows as environmental groups accuse government of hiding true source
Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum also denied the allegations, saying “no leak has been reported”
Environmental groups have accused Mexico’s government of misleading the public over the origin of a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, claims officials have firmly rejected.
According to the Associated Press, the spill off the coast of Veracruz has spread more than 373 miles, affecting at least seven protected areas and harming marine life, including turtles and fish.
Local fishermen have also been impacted, with some unable to work.
The government says around 800 tonnes of hydrocarbon waste entered the ocean and attributes the spill to a vessel and naturally occurring oil seeps.
However, a coalition of environmental groups, including Greenpeace Mexico and the Mexican Center for Environmental Rights, disputes that explanation.
They say satellite images suggest the spill originated from a pipeline linked to state oil company Pemex and may have begun earlier than reported.
“All this lack of information is causing massive economic and environmental damage. So far no one has been held accountable,” Margarita Campuzano, spokesperson for CEMDA, according to
Pemex rejected the claims, calling the images “inaccurate” and stating the vessel identified by activists regularly conducts inspections and response operations.
President Claudia Sheinbaum also denied the allegations, saying “no leak has been reported” in state oil infrastructure and suggesting the spill may be due to natural seepage.
-
China's to debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' in June
-
Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
-
China to send two more pandas to US to strengthen US-China ties
-
Mayor Mamdani launches 'Twitch Show' to interact with New Yorkers
-
RIAT 2026: Middle East conflict forces air show cancellation
-
Nancy Guthrie case: Bone discovery sparks major online interference in her disappearance
-
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland
-
House Republicans cancel vote to rein in Trump’s military campaign in Iran
-
Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo
-
US Navy division awards $75m contract for submarine combat control program
-
Why Donald Trump Jr. chose private Bahamas Island wedding amid questions over Trump’s attendance
-
‘We were lucky’: Stephen Colbert bids emotional farewell in final broadcast on Thursday
