PHC stops arrest of two PTI leaders

By Bureau report
December 08, 2023

PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Thursday stopped police from arresting two Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders, Sher Afzal Marwat and Shaukat Yousafzai.

There are four FIRs against PTI leader Sher Afzal Marwat. A bench consisting of Chief Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Khan and Justice Ishtiaq Ibrahim heard a separate plea for details of cases against Marwat, and ordered the provincial government to provide the information.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders Sher Afzal Marwat (left) and Shaukat Yousafzai. — X/APP

Daniyal Asad Chamkani from the provincial government appeared in the case.Afzal Marwat stated that, despite court-permitted political events, cases were filed against him in various districts.

He mentioned that two cases were registered against him in Dir, and one each in Swabi and Mardan districts. He said he was going to peaceful conventions of the party when obstacles were created for him.

Marwat said that PTI was being targeted to hinder its political campaigns, requesting the withdrawal of FIRs and halting arrests until a final decision.The court directed the government to compile a report on the case details and granted time for submission.

Meanwhile, the court suspended Marwat’s arrest in all four cases and issued a notice to the provincial government.In a separate hearing, the PHC stopped the government from arresting PTI leader Shaukat Yousafzai and adjourned the hearing into the interim bail to December 18.

PHC Chief Justice Muhammad Ibrahim Khan heard the petition filed by the PTI leader who had remained a provincial minister when the party was in power.

Syed Sikandar Shah, the counsel for Shaukat Yousafzai, told the court that a case had been registered against his client in Shangla at a time when he was leaving for Umrah and was present in Peshawar.

He expressed his fear that his client could be arrested and hence he should be granted bail.The court admitted the bail application of Shuakat Yousafza, accepted his interim bail and stopped the police from arresting him.