Germany admits 130,000 asylum seekers ‘lost’ raising fears over crime
BERLIN: More than 130,000 asylum seekers may have disappeared in Germany, according to newly released government figures on Saturday, raising concerns over terrorism and organised crime.
In a parliamentary answer, Angela Merkel’s government said it had lost track of around 13 per cent of the 1.1 million people registered as asylum seekers last year.
The missing people never arrived at official government refugee accommodation which had been assigned to them.
The interior ministry later tried to row back on the admission, claiming the figures had been exaggerated by errors in data entry.
But there will be concerns those unaccounted for could include Islamic extremists or organised criminals who entered the country posing as refugees.
The new figures emerged just two months after unconfirmed reports the German authorities were urgently searching for 12 asylum seekers who had vanished.
They were believed to have crossed the border using forged passports from the same source as those used by some of the Paris attackers.
The latest admission came in a written answer to a parliamentary question from the opposition Left Party.
The government said it believed many of those who had disappeared had simply moved on to other countries, while others had “gone underground illegally”.
Merkel has moved to tighten asylum rules in recent months, and economic migrants with no genuine claim may choose to go underground to avoid deportation. But the interior ministry on Friday tried to downplay the figures.
“This information is nothing new,” Tobias Plate, a spokesman for the interior ministry, said.
“The ministry has long noted that in a significant number of cases an asylum seeker who has been registered in the system does not arrive at the reception centre he or she was assigned.”
The figures had been inflated by double entries in Germany’s EASY database, which was designed to help find accommodation for asylum seekers rather than keep track of them, he said. It emerged last year that the German authorities kept little information on the hundreds of thousands of asylum seekers crossing into the country.
Migrants were not fingerprinted and their identities were not confirmed, making it easy for them to be entered into the system at more than one location.
The government has since introduced new measures to record the identities of asylum seekers on entry, Plate said.
The controversy came as a senior official in Berlin was arrested on charges of taking €51,000 (£40,000) in bribes to award government contracts for security at refugee shelters.
The 48-year-old official, who has not been named, ensured contracts for security at several shelters went to one security firm in return for the bribes, according to prosecutors.
The official was fired from his post at LaGeSo, the Berlin health and social security office, which has been heavily criticised for backlogs that have seen asylum seekers forced to sleep in the open and queue for hours in sub-zero temperatures.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'