Two teens detained over public park machete attack
LONDON: Two teenagers have been sentenced after launching a knife attack in a “public park in front of families” which left the victim in a permanent vegetative state.
Keiano Gooden-Josephs, a 19-year-old former Chelsea academy player, was sentenced to 13 years in a young offenders’ institution, and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, was handed an 11-year term of detention after being convicted of wounding with intent, during a trial at the Old Bailey in January.
Doctors say victim Douglas Sepouo, 21, shows no chance of making a recovery following the machete attack in Preston Park, Wembley, north London, on July 9 last year.
Sentencing at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, Judge Sarah Munro QC said: “This was a group attack from the both of you in a public park in front of families.” The judge said the crime was “as close to murder as it could be”, considering the defendant’s grave condition.
Prosecutor Alistair Richardson said Sepouo had been in a permanent vegetative state since the attack, and is in isolation after being infected by Covid-19.
Richardson said the victim’s mother Corinne Foussoum “refused to give up hope” for her son and visited him every day following the stabbing, until also being struck down with coronavirus.
The court heard Sepouo was a drug dealer who was training to be a plumber.
In a statement, Ms Foussoum said: “He was a good child, very kind, never causing bother to anyone. It is my faith in god that keeps me going. Some people in a vegetative state have improved, so why not him?”
The court heard that the two defendants and the victim were all carrying weapons on the day, and there was a grievance between them which the judge said was “almost certainly drug-related”.
-
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down