‘Suspense is killing us’: S African stranded by China virus lockdown
JOHANNESBURG: South African teacher Sizwe Sibiya is anxiously awaiting repatriation from Wuhan, China’s epicentre of the deadly coronavirus, where he has barely left his flat for almost two months.
South Africa’s government promised to fly home 184 of its nationals -- mostly students and teachers -- who are residing in the city. But no date has been set for their return. "The suspense is killing us right now," Sibiya said. "Everybody is talking about packing and just being ready for the call."
Sibiya, 40, his wife and their five-year-old daughter have been confined to their apartment in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, for more than 50 days. "It has been a very, very taxing exercise, both physically and mentally," said Sibiya, who spoke to AFP over video chat.
"You end up missing just the basic things like seeing people, hearing people make noise." Sibiya moved to Wuhan in 2016 with his wife and daughter, who was aged one at the time.
The whole family has been kept indoors since January 17, after Chinese authorities imposed travel restrictions in Hubei to curb the spread of the virus. About 56 million people have been effectively housebound by the lockdown.
"We are all humans, now and then we crave the human touch," Sibiya said, haggard from the quarantine. "Being away from people, the public, for such a long time is definitely not a nice experience."
The number of coronavirus cases has risen worldwide to more than 110,000, with more than 3,800 dead across 100 nations and territories since it emerged in December. South Africa confirmed its first case last week, and now a total of seven people have tested positive.
"You watch the news and you can see the numbers of people who are infected going up," said Sibiya, who has grown increasingly concerned about his safety. He added that sometimes he wandered who would be next.
"Is it me?" he asked. "Is it my family? My friends?" While the outbreak has flared up in Europe and other parts of the world, new infections reported from Hubei have been on a downward trend for several weeks.
"We are all looking forward to being at home," said Sibiya. "It has been incredibly hard for everybody." "It’s quite cold here, its still winter," he added. "So we are looking forward to the sun."
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child