Govt aims to bury news leak probe: Pervaiz

By our correspondents
November 07, 2016

LAHORE: PML-Q senior central leader and former Deputy Prime Minister Parvaiz Elahi has said the proposed committee on the news leak issue is an attempt to bury this very important and sensitive matter.

Addressing a press conference along with MNA Tariq Bashir Cheema at his residence here on Sunday, he called it a big joke, saying how a retired judge can hold independent inquiry into the security breach. He said the nation had seen the fate of an inquiry report by a serving judge of the Lahore High Court about the Model Town, Lahore, massacre.

He said the government had already sent abroad an important character and witness in this issue. He said the committee would be submitting its report to the prime minister and he would be empowered to order any further action in this regard, he said and added this step of the government had exposed the intentions of the government that it was notready to hold fair inquiry into the security breach.

He asked why the prime minister did not realise his responsibilities. He said joke with national institutions should be stopped. He said if Pervaiz Rasheed was innocent, why he had been removed. Replying to a question, Parvaiz Elahi said that national security breach was a matter of great concern for the entire nation and all those involved in it should be exposed and punished accordingly.