Women step into the ring at west African wrestling tournament
ABUJA: Legs taut, backs bent at the waist, the wrestlers slowly stretched out their arms towards each other, searching for a grip while trying to avoid becoming exposed themselves.
In a flash it was all over -- a tangle of grappling, pushing and jostling that ended with the Beninese fighter tossed to the ground by her Nigerian counterpart, the soft sand surface spraying out beneath her.
Traditional west African wrestling -- and the gargantuan, sometimes sumo-like men who step into the ring -- captivates audiences across the region, from stadiums in Senegal to desert villages in Niger.
This week´s ECOWAS wrestling tournament, however, marked the first time that the annual showdown featured a women´s division, drawing competitors from across the regional bloc to the Nigerian capital Abuja.
“Women know how to fight. We just had to be given a chance,” 33-year-old Ivorian fighter Celine Bakayoko told AFP on Friday from the sidelines.
She only started competing professionally in 2019, but she said she grew up wrestling with her friends, adding that “for us, it´s not a sport, it´s an innate practice.”
“They look serious, they don´t look like they´re just coming here to fill a gap,” spectator Yussuff Fashola said.
Though the tournament, which continued into the weekend, marked a step forwards for women in the male-dominated sport, “to get other females on your team, to be able to train with them... that´s the challenge,” said Ghana´s Jocelyn Asante.
But even after suffering a defeat on Friday, Liberia´s Garmai Sanghno found a silver lining in “representing my country” and using the opportunity to “develop skills” for future bouts.
Missing, however, was last year´s medal table-toppers, Niger.
Run by military juntas, Niger, Burkina Faso and Mali all left the bloc earlier this year after years of deteriorating relations with ECOWAS.
The split came after the July 2023 coup in Niger, when the bloc threatened military intervention and pushed economic sanctions on Niamey.
Though envoys have been sent to bridge the divide, and ECOWAS officials at the tournament spoke of regional unity during the opening ceremony, none of the nations sent fighters to this year´s tournament.
“Sport is supposed to unify us, right?” asked Fashola, 33, over the whoops and whistles of a men´s match, lamenting the countries´ absences.
“They are our friends,” said Abdullahi Ahmed Libata, the former secretary general of the Traditional Sports Federation of Nigeria, who grew up wrestling each dry season as rivers would recede and leave soft sandy banks that were perfect for combat.
“Niger are our neighbours, we love them,” he said. “They are our people, we came up together.”
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'