Romanian far-right candidate says democracy ‘cancelled’ along with election
MOGOSOAIA, Romania: The Romanian far-right presidential candidate at the centre of a Russian electoral meddling scandal turned up at the place he would have voted in on Sunday, saying the Constitutional Court’s decision to cancel the ballot was fatal for democracy.
The court annulled the ongoing presidential election after accusations of Russian meddling and on Friday ruled the entire process, which had been due to conclude this weekend, would have to be re-run. Russia denies any interference in the process.
Sunday’s second round would have pitted Calin Georgescu, a far-right, pro-Russian candidate who was ahead in the first round, against pro-European Union centrist leader Elena Lasconi.
On Sunday morning, Georgescu was greeted by a crowd of supporters and journalists at the school where he would have cast his vote.
“We shall continue in the democratic manner,” he said, speaking in English. “I ask very clearly for peace, for all the things that we have to recuperate our democracy because democracy was cancelled with the court.”
Meanwhile, in a letter dated Dec 7 and posted on social media platform X late on Saturday, Lasconi told US President-elect Donald Trump that she also feared democracy was in danger.
-
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed