WTA return shows China key to tennis on and off court
SHANGHAI: The WTA’s decision this week to return to China, despite unresolved questions around the safety of player Peng Shuai, betrays the financial and strategic importance of the country to the tennis organisation, analysts and former players say.
Peng, a former doubles world number one, has not been seen outside China since 2021, when she made -- and then withdrew -- accusations of sexual assault against a high-ranking official.
The WTA had previously said they would not return to China without a formal investigation into the allegations and an opportunity to meet privately with Peng.
But on Thursday it backed down, saying it had concluded “we will never fully secure those goals, and it will be our players and tournaments who ultimately will be paying an extraordinary price for their sacrifices”.
The move was widely seen as a capitulation, and some questioned whether the boycott had ever been sincere. Most major sports events in China were cancelled anyway over the last few years because of Beijing’s strict zero-Covid policy.
The WTA’s Chinese-language press release announcing the return was just a few lines long, and did not mention Peng at all -- in contrast to a lengthy English one that detailed the saga.
Human Rights Watch described the move as “a huge disappointment for the Chinese human rights community”.
“It is not surprising, though, given the money at stake and the record of other international businesses in China,” the NGO said in a statement.
Former player Anne Keothavong put it more bluntly.
“Tennis is a business,” she told British media.
“The WTA need to generate commercial revenue and the players need a circuit to compete.”
From 2015 onwards, China became a huge source of income for the WTA, culminating in a 10-year contract in 2018 to make Shenzhen the host of its traditional end-of-season tournament.
Giving that event to a country which already had nine other tournaments worth tens of millions of dollars did not look like a risky strategy at the time.
Shenzhen’s bid doubled the seven-million-dollar total prize money for the event, with Ashleigh Barty claiming a record-setting $4.4 million paycheck there in 2019 -- the largest sum ever awarded in men’s and women’s tennis.
The WTA has suffered deep financial losses recently, with Chinese tournaments cancelled due to the pandemic.
The total prize money for the 2021 Guadalajara and 2022 Fort Worth Finals was just five million dollars, which the WTA had to pay itself.
The ATP men’s circuit, which never joined the boycott, has scheduled four tournaments in China this year, which had raised fears the financial gap between the men’s and women’s games could widen even further.
-
Detective Chief Inspector Reveals How Andrew Got Treated In Police Custody -
Gemini 3.1 Pro Unveiled: Google’s Next-gen AI For Advanced Reasoning & Faster Enterprise Workflows -
Oprah Winfrey Talks About Weight-loss 'tool To Manage' Health -
Texas Emerges As World's Future Data Center Capital -
South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Issues Public Apology After Being Sentenced To Life Over Martial Law -
Eric Dane Recorded Episodes For The Third Season Of 'Euphoria' Before His Death From ALS Complications -
Inside Morning Of Andrew’s Arrest And How He Responded: ‘Do You Know Who I Am?’ -
OpenAI Sam Altman Predicts AI Superintelligence By 2028: Is Humanity Ready For A Turning Point? -
WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History To Ease Group Chats -
Tesla Expands Cybertruck Lineup With Affordable Model In US, Slashes Cyberbeast Price To Boost Demand -
AI Is Not As Powerful As We Think, Says Mathematician Hannah Fry -
How Andrew's Feeling Since His Arrest & Subsequent Release Amid Tech & Computers Seize -
Trump Officially Directs US Agencies To Identify And Release Files On Extraterrestrial Life -
2026 Winter Olympics: Alysa Liu Claims Gold, Snapping 20-year Drought For US Figure Skating -
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53