Egypt records its first monkeypox case
Late last month the WHO said the disease, which is not normally fatal, had been detected in seven Middle East and Maghreb countries.
CAIRO: Egypt has recorded its first case of the monkeypox virus, in a man who travelled regularly to Europe, the country’s health ministry said Wednesday.
“The first case of monkeypox has been detected in Egypt. The 42-year-old man has a residence permit from a European country to which he regularly travels,” the health ministry of the Arab world’s most populous country said in a statement.
The man has been placed in isolation in the hospital.
Read more: World monkeypox outbreak tops 50,000 cases
Late last month the World Health Organisation said the disease, which is not normally fatal, had been detected in seven Middle East and Maghreb countries.
Monkeypox cases have been on the rise since May in Western and Central Africa, where it was already endemic.
The WHO triggered its highest level of alarm on July 24, classifying monkeypox as a public health emergency of international concern, alongside COVID-19.
Read more: Spain reports first monkeypox-related death
The disease causes painful and scarring lesions, principally to the face, anus and genitals.
Worldwide, 18 deaths have been attributed to monkeypox since May.
More than 50,000 cases have been recorded in the global outbreak, though transmission is slowing in the virus hotspots of Europe and the United States.
-
How the world lost Whitney Houston to overdose
-
Late Ozzy Osbourne's 'terribly challenging' life with Parkinson's Disease
-
Emerging health threat: Toxic chemicals found in headphones, raising safety concerns among teens
-
Halsey’s rare health struggle you didn’t know about
-
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt mental health struggle amid divorce
-
Peter Dinklage shares achondroplasia struggle: 'My whole life I've had stares'
-
Celine Dion’s private battle with Stiff Person Syndrome
-
5 famous names who have spoken up about their anxiety