Bombardment of rebel bastion near Syria capital kills 28: monitor
At least 28 civilians were killed in heavy bombardment of a besieged Syrian rebel stronghold, including near a school, east of Damascus on Sunday, a monitoring group said.
BEIRUT: At least 28 civilians were killed in heavy bombardment of a besieged Syrian rebel stronghold, including near a school, east of Damascus on Sunday, a monitoring group said.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, rockets fired by regime forces rained down on Douma, one of the largest towns in the opposition-held Eastern Ghouta region.
Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said air strikes also hit Douma and the nearby town of Saqba, but it was unclear whether they were carried out by Syrian or Russian warplanes.
Two children were among the dead, and dozens of people were wounded, he said.
"One of the air strikes on Douma hit near a school, killing the school´s principal," Abdel Rahman told AFP.
Men carried children across the dust-covered rubble of destroyed buildings in Douma, whose streets were littered with debris and shards of glass, according to an AFP photographer on the scene.
A local activist group in Douma shared photographs on Facebook of crumbling buildings and bloodied children lying in a makeshift clinic.
Government forces regularly bombard Eastern Ghouta, and rebels there fire rockets and mortar shells into the capital.
On Sunday, a young girl was killed and three people were wounded in rebel mortar fire on Damascus, according to the national news agency SANA.
Last month, regime forces and rebel groups tried to agree on a 15-day ceasefire in Eastern Ghouta, but the talks failed and violence has resumed.
-
Keir Starmer appoints 'Dame Antonia Romeo' as first female head of UK service
-
Russia sounds alarm over Iran tension as US forces surge in region
-
France on red alert: Storm Pedro batters southwest following record 35 day rain streak
-
Headway made in Nancy Guthrie case: report
-
'Pulp Fiction' actor Peter Greene died in accidental gunshot, officials confirm
-
Three men discovered dead in Detroit basement as passerby alerts police
-
Susan Hamblin draws renewed scrutiny after 'your littlest girl' email surfaces
-
South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over power abuse, martial law orders