close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

World

AFP
April 10, 2019

Jamal Khashoggi family denies settlement with Saudi government

World

AFP
Wed, Apr 10, 2019

DUBAI: The family of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi denied Wednesday being in talks to reach a settlement out of court with Saudi authorities following reports that his sons had taken payouts.

"Currently, the trial is taking place and no settlement discussion had been or is discussed," read an English statement posted to Salah Khashoggi´s verified Twitter account.

The Washington Post on April 1 reported Khashoggi´s children, including Salah, had received multimillion-dollar homes and were being paid thousands of dollars per month by authorities.

Khashoggi -- a contributor to the Post and a critic of the Saudi government -- was killed and dismembered in October at the kingdom´s consulate in Istanbul.

His body has not been recovered.

Saudi Arabia´s public prosecutor has charged 11 people over the murder.

- ´Not admission of guilt´ -

Khashoggi´s son said only the family and their attorney were authorised to "claim to be a source of information".

"Acts of generosity and humanity come from the high moral grounds they possess, not admission of guilt or scandal," the statement said.

According to the Post, the payments to his four children -- two sons and two daughters -- "are part of an effort by Saudi Arabia to reach a long-term arrangement with Khashoggi family members, aimed in part at ensuring that they continue to show restraint in their public statements".