World

NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland

A week earlier Pentagon cancelled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland

Published May 22, 2026
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland

President Donald Trump has announced a plan to deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland in a major policy reversal move.

The announcement comes a week after the Pentagon cancelled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to the Eastern European country.

Advertisement

Taking to the Truth Social platform, Trump said that the recent decision was taken in the backdrop of US relations with Poland’s president Karol Nawrocki. The US president allegedly backed Nawrocki during his presidential elections last year.

No disclosure was given on whether the recent deployment of extra troops would fall either under the previous plans or a different operation.

Soon after the announcement, the NATO Secretary General welcomed the move ahead of a meeting of foreign ministers in Sweden.

“Of course, I welcome the announcement. Our military commanders are working through all details. But let’s be clear, the trajectory we are on is towards a stronger Europe and stronger Europe, making sure, we will, step by step.”

Foreign ministers attending a NATO meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, reacted Friday to President Donald Trump’s decision to send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland.

Swedish foreign minister, Maria Malmer Stenergard, said while talking to reporters, “Well is it confusing indeed and not always easy to navigate. We need to continue to focus on what we do not everyone else says. So we need to invest in our defense and capabilities.”

“We need the involvement of the US but as we ramp up it is important that the US reduce its presence in Europe. But I welcome the troops' deployment now.”

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul has also welcomed the US decision, citing "It serves not only for Poland's security, but for the security of the whole alliance and so also for us. So, this is absolutely in our interest.”

The Norwegian FM, Espen Barth Eide, said, “we recognize that there is a desire to draw down the troop numbers. That has been said for a very long time. What is important is that this happens in the structured manner so Europe is able to build up when the US reduces its presence.”

Talking to reporters, Marco Rubio said, “"The president's views are frankly disappointing at some of our Nato allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East. In the meantime there are other areas where we continue with cooperation.” 

Aqsa Qaddus Tahir
Aqsa Qaddus Tahir is a reporter dedicated to science coverage, exploring breakthroughs, emerging research, and innovation. Her work centres on making scientific developments understandable and relevant, presenting well-researched stories that connect complex ideas with everyday life in a clear, engaging, and informative manner.
Share this story: