Entire Venice Biennale jury resigns after announcing no awards for Russia or Israel
The five-strong jury, headed by Brazilian curator Solange Farkas, said last week that "in the defence of human rights" it would not consider works from countries whose leaders face charges at the International Criminal Court
The entire jury of the Venice Biennale International Art Exhibition has resigned, organisers said on Thursday.
According to Reuters news agency, the resignations come a week after the panel announced it would not hand out awards to artists from Russia or Israel.
The Biennale did not give a reason for the move, which marks a dramatic escalation in a dispute that has thrown one of the world's most prestigious contemporary art events into turmoil days before its May 9 opening.
The five-strong jury, headed by Brazilian curator Solange Farkas, said last week that "in the defence of human rights" it would not consider works from countries whose leaders face charges at the International Criminal Court.
The only two countries affected were Russia and Israel, with the ICC issuing arrest warrants for Russian President Vladimir Putin in relation to the war in Ukraine, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the Gaza war.
-
Drake's secret formula for going viral revealed by comedian?
-
'90 Day Fiancé' star Patrick Mendes ends marriage with Thais Ramone after four years
-
Miley Cyrus gets emotional as she receives Hollywood Walk of Fame star
-
Kate Cassidy reveals why she is ‘icked out’ by dating after boyfriend Liam Payne’s death
-
'30 Rock' star Grizz Chapman takes his last breath at 52
-
Pink Floyd saxophonist Dick Parry breathes his last at 83
-
Niall Horan drops emotional song in memory of late One Direction bandmate Liam Payne
-
Harry Styles' fiancée Zoë Kravitz feels 'excited' for one reason amid his tour in Europe
