'This must end now': Britain, France, Germany decry Gaza catastrophe
"We urge all parties to bring an end to conflict by reaching an immediate ceasefire," say European leaders
The leaders of Britain, France, and Germany on Friday urged an immediate end to the "humanitarian catastrophe" unfolding in the Gaza Strip, warning of a worsening crisis in the war-torn Palestinian territory.
"We call on the Israeli government to immediately lift restrictions on the flow of aid and urgently allow the UN and humanitarian NGOs to carry out their work in order to take action against starvation," they said in a joint statement released by Berlin.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said that "the most basic needs of the civilian population, including access to water and food, must be met without any further delay".
"Withholding essential humanitarian assistance to the civilian population is unacceptable," they said. "Israel must uphold its obligations under international humanitarian law."
More than 100 aid and human rights groups warned this week that "mass starvation" was spreading in Gaza after more than 21 months of war.
Israel has rejected accusations it is responsible for the deepening crisis in Gaza, which the World Health Organisation (WHO) has called "man-made".
Israel placed the Gaza Strip under an aid blockade in March, which it only partially eased two months later while sidelining the longstanding UN-led distribution system.
The European leaders also stressed that "the time has come to end the war in Gaza.
"We urge all parties to bring an end to the conflict by reaching an immediate ceasefire."
"We stand ready to take further action to support an immediate ceasefire and a political process that leads to lasting security and peace for Israelis, Palestinians and the entire region," they said.
Starmer had earlier said he would hold an "emergency call" on Gaza on Friday with Macron and Merz.
Palestinian resistance group Hamas triggered the conflict with its October 7, 2023, attack in Israel.
The Hamas attack resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Israel's military campaign in Gaza has so far killed 59,676 Palestinians, mostly civilians, according to the health ministry in the territory.
Of the 251 hostages taken during the attack, 49 are still being held in Gaza, including 27, the Israeli military says, are dead.
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories
-
Rosie O’Donnell secretly returned to US to test safety