close
Monday March 04, 2024

3 US troops killed in drone attack in Middle East

President Biden says "we shall respond" to the attack which also injured 30 troops

By Web Desk
January 29, 2024
US soldiers in Syria on 13 February 2021. — Al Jazeera
US soldiers in Syria on 13 February 2021. — Al Jazeera

Three US troops stationed in the Middle East, near the Jordan-Syria border, were attacked on Sunday by a drone carried out at the US base named Tower 22, BBC reported.

US President Joe Biden, in a statement issued after the drone attack, said the attack was carried out by "radical-Iran-backed militant groups", adding that Washington "shall respond" to the attack. 

According to reports, the one-way drone attack killed three soldiers, while more than 30 were injured and are receiving all necessary treatment.

This is the first attack on US troops since the beginning of the war in Palestine, where more than 26,000 Palestinians have been killed.

According to the officials, the drone struck near the troops sleeping quarters, a key factor in the high casualty count.

"We will carry on their commitment to fight terrorism. Have no doubt, we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner of our choosing," warned President Biden. 

Meanwhile, Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said, "We will take all necessary actions to defend the United States, our troops, and our interests."

This comes at a time when the Middle Eastern region has been inflicted with several wars and has been boiling with regional tensions.

The doomsday clock has been set at 90 seconds to midnight, highlighting how the world stands at a tipping point.

Last week, the US struck three facilities in Iraq and has also been engaged with the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen, carrying out multiple strikes — many unilaterally and some with the UK and other allies.