Saudi security operation against Islamic State fighters in Mecca - state TV
DUBAI: Saudi security forces undertook an operation against alleged Islamic State fighters in Mecca on Thursday, state television channel Ekhbariya said.
"The security authorities succeeded in their operation against a number of Daesh partisans holed up at a recreational area in Mecca," the TV station said in a news flash, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic state.
It gave no details, but al-Okaz newspaper reported that the forces surrounded a group of men in the Wadi Noman area south of the city and four wanted men were killed in a gun battle.
In an earlier, two-day security operation that ended on Sunday, two Islamic State suspects were killed and a third was wounded in southwestern Bisha province.
Saudi Arabia, the world´s top oil exporter, has been hit by a spate of deadly shootings and bombings targeting security forces or its Shi´ite Muslim minority since last year.
Islamic State´s local branches have claimed many of them. The group views Shi´ites as heretics but is also bitterly opposed to the wealthy Gulf kingdom´s Sunni Muslim rulers, whom it regards as having betrayed Islam through close ties with the West.
-
Germany’s ruling coalition backs social media ban for children under 14
-
Quinton Aaron reveals why he does not want to speak to wife Margarita ever again
-
Why Mikaela Shiffrin celebrated Olympic Gold with Taylor Swift song?
-
Political tensions steal spotlight at Berlin Film Festival closing ceremony
-
Hong Kong touts stability,unique trade advantages as Trump’s global tariff sparks market volatility
-
Friedrich Merz heads to China for high stakes talks in an effort to reset strained trade relations
-
Nvidia CEO praises Elon Musk, calls him an ‘extraordinary engineer'
-
Conan O'Brien speaks first time after Rob Reiner's killing