Suspected militants behead 10 in Mozambique
MAPUTO: Ten people, some of them children, were beheaded in a village in northern Mozambique, in a weekend attack blamed on suspected militants, local sources said on Tuesday.
The pre-dawn attack on Sunday occurred in Monjane, a village close to the border with Tanzania and not far from Palma, a small town gearing up to be the country´s new natural gas hub in the northern province of Cabo Delgado.
"We were informed about this tragedy," Palma´s administrator David Machimbuko told AFP, whose account was also confirmed by a local resident, who blamed militants. Mozambique´s state broadcaster also reported on "10 persons decapitated" in the Palma area.
Police were expected to give a news conference later on Tuesday. Cabo Delgado has seen a number of attacks by suspected militants since October. One of the victims of the latest attack was the leader of Monjane village, a local resident said, without giving his name for fear of reprisals.
"They targeted the chief as he had been providing information to the police about the location of al-Shabaab in the forests," he told AFP, referring to an armed group believed responsible for a deadly October attack on a police station and military post in the town of Mocimboa da Praia.
Two officers died and 14 attackers were killed then in what was believed to be the first militant attack on the country. The group has no known link to the Somali militant group of the same name. In the following weeks, at least 300 Muslims, including Tanzanians, were arrested and several mosques forced to close.
Alex Vines, a specialist analyst on Mozambique for the London-based Chatham House told AFP that the "new attacks are unsurprising and a reminder of the seriousness of the situation". "A number of independent assessments of the situation in Cabo Delgado conducted over the last three months have concluded that the security situation (there) remains fragile and continued attacks probable," he said.
The attackers on Monjane approached the village from a nearby forest. Police were called but "arrived very late and the attackers were already gone. Nothing was stolen," a local source said.
-
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Gemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos