Federer, Osaka pull out injured, Nadal into semis
ROME: Roger Federer and Naomi Osaka both pulled out of the Italian Open on Friday before their quarter-final matches due to injuries just a week before the start of the French Open, as defending champion Rafael Nadal swept into the last four.
The eight-time champion came through 6-4, 6-0 against compatriot Fernando Verdasco to set up a rematch with Greek rising star Stefanos Tsitsipas for a place in the final.Tsitsipas advanced after Federer — returning to clay after a two-year absence — retired with a right leg injury before their game.
The 32-year-old Nadal, seeded second, advanced to his fourth straight semi-final but has not managed to go further on clay this season, ahead of his bid for a 12th French Open title at Roland Garros, starting on May 26. Tsitsipas beat Nadal in last week’s Madrid Open semi-finals before falling to Novak Djokovic, but lost to the Spaniard in the Australian Open semis earlier this year.
Reigning US and Australian Open champion Osaka had earlier said she could not compete because of a problem with her hand. The Japanese star was due to meet Madrid Open champion and sixth seed Kiki Bertens.
Bertens goes through to meet either Britain’s Johanna Konta or Czech Marketa Vondrousova. Osaka said she could stay in Rome before going on to the French Open, but did not rule out competing in Roland Garros. Osaka won twice on Thursday after the previous day’s play was rained off, retaining the world number one spot ahead of the French Open.
Federer was playing in the Italian capital to prepare for his return to the French Open for the first time since 2015.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion had been on court for nearly four hours on Thursday, saving two match points to win through in three sets against Borna Coric after earlier easing to a straight sets win over Portgual’s Joao Sousa. The former world number one had been a late addition to the Rome tournament as he sought clay-court practice ahead of his bid to add to his lone French Open title from 2009.
On court, Argentina’s Diego Schwartzman dispatched Japanese sixth seed Kei Nishikori to reach the semi-finals. Schwartzman, 26, won 6-4, 6-2 in 87 minutes in the quarter-final for his first win in four meetings with former US Open finalist Nishikori.
The world number 24, a French Open quarter-finalist last year, has not dropped a set so far on the red clay of the Foro Italico and next faces either the top-ranked Djokovic or compatriot Juan Martin del Potro. “It’s not the best result I wanted, but I’m getting better every tournament from Barcelona and looking forward to playing the French,” said Nishikori.
-
WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History To Ease Group Chats -
Tesla Expands Cybertruck Lineup With Affordable Model In US, Slashes Cyberbeast Price To Boost Demand -
AI Is Not As Powerful As We Think, Says Mathematician Hannah Fry -
How Andrew's Feeling Since His Arrest & Subsequent Release Amid Tech & Computers Seize -
Trump Officially Directs US Agencies To Identify And Release Files On Extraterrestrial Life -
2026 Winter Olympics: Alysa Liu Claims Gold, Snapping 20-year Drought For US Figure Skating -
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53 -
Donald Trump Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Arrest: ‘It’s A Shame’ -
DJ Khaled Shares Weight Loss Progress -
Jennifer Aniston And Jim Curtis Share How They Handle Relationship Conflicts -
Shamed Andrew Real Birthday Plans As Cops Showed Up At Door -
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame