close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
 
October 9, 2015

SHC disposes of plea against HuT activist’s detention

Karachi

 
October 9, 2015

Karachi
The Sindh High Court disposed of a petition challenging the detention of an activist of the Hizb-ut-Tahrir (HuT) after it was informed that the man had been placed under preventive detention for 90 days under the anti-terrorism law.
The petitioner, Noorul Ameen Farheen, told the high court that her spouse Mohammad Owais Raheel, an IBA degree holder, was picked up by law enforcers in DHA Phase IV on September 12.
An officer of the Gizri police station said in a report that the petitioner’s spouse had been put in preventive detention under Section 11-EEEE of the Anti-Terrorism Act on the recommendation of the Counter Terrorism Department.
At a press conference on October 6, the anti-terror department had announced Raheel’s arrest in the Boat Basin area of Clifton. A division bench, headed by Justice Irfan Saadat Khan, disposed of the petition after the statement of the police officer.

Warrant against SSP
The high court issued a bailable arrest warrant for SSP Farooq Awan for failing to appear in a missing man’s case.
The court had earlier directed the police officer to submit a report on progress in efforts to find Mohammad Faisal, who had gone missing from the Saddar area January 9, 2012.
The court issued a bailable warrant for the SSP through the CIA DIG, and directed him to appear on October 22.

Abject health facilities
The SHC directed the health secretary and others to file comments on a petition seeking fulfilling of all vacant posts of doctors and provision of adequate medical facilities at the Civil Hospital, Shikarpur.
Petitioner Shahab Usto submitted that as many as 73 people had died while 79 others were injured in a bomb blast at an Imambargah in Shikarpur on January 30. He submitted that the death toll had increased due to a lack of proper medical facilities and doctors at the Civil Hospital Shikarpur, as many of the injured had to be shifted to Sukkur and Larkana.
He maintained

that many of the injured were shifted in rickshaws, police mobiles etc as there was no ambulances available in the city.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus