Prioritise bail pleas of women, juveniles: LHC
LAHORE :As a preventive measure to avoid spread of coronavirus pandemic, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Muhammad Qasim Khan on Thursday issued an order for hearing of bail petitions of women, juveniles, under-trial prisoners and convicts of minor and non-prohibitory offences on a priority.
A directive issued to all district and sessions judges by Director General of District Judiciary Directorate Mushtaq Ahmad Ojla said the chief justice desired that bail applications (fresh or second as the case may be) of the prisoners/convicts be filed by the jail superintendents.
The beneficiary of the directive include under-trial prisoners of offences not falling within the prohibitory clause, carrying imprisonment of 10 years or above, under-trial women and juvenile prisoners, convicts with imprisonment of less than seven years and convict women.
The directive said the superintendents of the jails shall file the bail pleas of the prisoners undergoing sentence less than seven years directly to the sessions judges concerned who shall entrust the same to the trial judges concerned for appropriate orders. However, the bail applications of prisoners undergoing the sentence for period of more than seven years up to life imprisonment and have served at least half of the sentence will be directly filed by the superintendents before the high court.
The extraordinary concession of bail will not be applicable to the under-trial and convicted prisoners of the offences under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997. In case of acceptance of bail, it will be the discretion of the trial court to release the convict after obtaining bail bonds or on personal surety bonds. The trial courts had also been directed to decide these applications at the earliest.
The DPOs had been directed to ensure that the prisoners after the release would not mixed up with public and would remain in complete isolation at their homes at least for two weeks. The LHC further directed the jail superintendents to ensure that until the spread of COVID-19 came to an end, new entrants in the prisons were kept separately under medical observation at least for two weeks.
-
Protest Held Outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Home -
NASA Targets March 6 For Launch Of Crewed Mission Around Moon Following Successful Rocket Fueling Test -
Conan O'Brien Addresses Rob Reiner's Tragic Death After Explosive Clash At Christmas Bash -
Princess Eugenie, Beatrice's Major Plan With King Charles Revealed After Andrew Arrest -
Prince William Out Of Trouble As King Charles Faces Andrew Scandal Fallout -
Sir Paul McCartney Gets Honest About Whether He Broke Up The Beatles -
Brad Falchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow's Husband, Opens Up About Eric Dane's 'Famous Last Words' -
Sarah Ferguson Leaves Andrew 'furious' With Stunning Move: 'It's All-out War Now' -
Greenland Ice Sheet Acts Like ‘churning Molten Rock,’ Scientists Find -
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony -
King Charles In Hot Water After Andrew Arrest: ‘Step Down!’ -
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53