No possibility of Imran’s release before Eid
According to NAB officials, there is currently no case before any court that is ripe for Imran Khan’s release
ISLAMABAD: Rumours regarding possible release of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder chairman Imran Khan before Eid have been firmly rejected by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) and government sources. Even the PTI doesn’t expect it to happen.
These denials come amid speculations in the media and political circles about a potential deal or legal development leading to Khan’s early release.
According to NAB officials, there is currently no case before any court that is ripe for Imran Khan’s release. “No notice has been issued to NAB in any matter that could result in his bail or release before Eid,” a source in NAB confirmed. They added that as per legal norms, the prosecution must be heard before any relief is granted to a convicted individual, which has not happened so far.
Government sources have also dismissed the speculation, categorically stating that no deal has been offered to Imran Khan, and there is no behind-the-scenes arrangement underway to facilitate his release. “There is no understanding, no negotiation, and no offer on the table,” a senior government official said on condition of anonymity. Imran Khan’s legal counsel, Naeem Haider Panjotha, also told reporters outside the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Rawalpindi on Saturday that the reports of Khan’s imminent release were false. “There is neither any deal nor any leniency being offered. The rumours are baseless,” Panjotha said following a hearing related to the May-9 violence cases. Despite these clarifications, some PTI leaders and media analysts speculated that Khan would secure bail before Eid. Their hopes are pinned on the upcoming June-5 hearing in the Islamabad High Court (IHC), where Khan and his wife Bushra Bibi have filed applications seeking suspension of their conviction in the Toshakhana case. However, NAB sources maintain that no notice has been issued in that matter yet. Legal experts also caution that such applications typically involve procedural delays and multiple hearings before any substantive relief is granted. Meanwhile, the broader legal landscape does not favour any near-term reprieve for the former prime minister. The IHC recently made it clear that Imran Khan’s appeal against a 14-year sentence in the £190 million Al-Qadir Trust case is unlikely to be heard in 2025. A report submitted by the IHC registrar’s office to a division bench stated that the appeal, filed in January 2025, remains at the motion stage and is subject to a case fixation policy that prioritises older cases. The report highlighted that 279 convict appeals are currently pending before the IHC, including 63 involving death sentences and 73 with life imprisonment. Given this backlog and the National Judicial (Policy Making) Committee’s (NJPMC) directive to prioritise older cases, Khan’s appeal is not scheduled for a regular hearing in the current calendar year.
-
Epstein Estate To Pay $35M To Victims In Major Class Action Settlement -
Virginia Giuffre’s Brother Speaks Directly To King Charles In An Emotional Message About Andrew -
Reddit Tests AI-powered Shopping Results In Search -
Winter Olympics 2026: Everything To Know About The USA Vs Slovakia Men’s Hockey Game Today -
'Euphoria' Star Eric Made Deliberate Decision To Go Public With His ALS Diagnosis: 'Life Isn't About Me Anymore' -
Toy Story 5 Trailer Out: Woody And Buzz Faces Digital Age -
Andrew’s Predicament Grows As Royal Lodge Lands In The Middle Of The Epstein Investigation -
Rebecca Gayheart Unveils What Actually Happened When Ex-husband Eric Dane Called Her To Reveal His ALS Diagnosis -
What We Know About Chris Cornell's Final Hours -
Scientists Uncover Surprising Link Between 2.7 Million-year-old Climate Tipping Point & Human Evolution -
NASA Takes Next Step Towards Moon Mission As Artemis II Moves To Launch Pad Operations Following Successful Fuel Test -
GTA 6 Price Leaked Online Ahead Of Rockstar Announcement -
Google AI Overviews And Mental Health: Why Experts Say It’s ‘very Dangerous’ -
Eric Dane Got Honest About His Struggle With ALS In Final Public Appearance: 'No Reason To Be In A Good Spirit' -
Prince Harry Issues A Statement For His 'incredible' WellChild Children -
5 Famous Celebrities Who Beat Cancer