Rights activists demand judicial inquiry into Shahnawaz Kanbhar’s killing
HYDERABAD: Civil society activists have demanded a judicial inquiry into the killing of Shahnawaz Kanbhar, a doctor who was accused of blasphemy and shot dead in an alleged police encounter.
A large number of rights activists offered the funeral prayers in absentia for Dr Kunbhar in Jainro village of Umerkot district on Sunday afternoon.
On the occasion, Muhammad Ayub, the uncle of the deceased, said that on the morning of the 12th Rabiul Awwal, he came to know that some inappropriate posts had been posted from the ID of his nephew.
At night, the deceased contacted him and said that he was in Karachi, and his ID had not been used for three years.
He claimed that the Mirpurkhas CIA Police arrested Dr Kunbhar from a hotel in Karachi and killed him in a fake encounter the next morning. After killing him, his father was not allowed to take the body, and extremists forcibly took it away and burnt it, Ayub added.
He said the family was even not allowed to bury the body at a local cemetery, after which they interred it in their agricultural land.
Rights activist Masood Lohar told The News that prevention of such incidents was necessary, and the local police and administration should play a proactive role.
He said that the police were likely not to conduct a transparent inquiry, so an inquiry commission should be formed under a judge of the Sindh High Court to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Mukhtiar Abbasi, another civil society member, said Dr Kanbhar's mental condition was bad for four years.
He said the slain man’s family, including his parents, widow and children, were afraid. He added that fundamentalists had announced a head money of Rs5 million to have Dr Kanbhar killed.
He said the residents of Sindh were demanding a judicial inquiry into the incident because the police themselves were a party to the incident.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child