Hassan, Hussain acquitted in Avenfield, Flagship, Al-Azizia cases
The NAB official stated that the plea to extend Nawaz’s sentence had also been withdrawn
ISLAMABAD: Accountability Court Judge Nasir Javed Rana Tuesday acquitted former premier and PMLN Quaid Muhammad Nawaz Sharif’s sons Hassan and Hussain Nawaz in the Avenfield, Flagship and Al-Azizia cases. The court, presided over by Judge Nasir Javed Rana, had reserved the verdict.
The NAB prosecutor, Afzal Qureshi, informed the court that no appeal had been filed against the acquittal of Nawaz’s sons or incumbent Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz. He added the main accused in the case had been acquitted earlier. The petitioner’s counsel, Advocate Qazi Misbah, stated that the Islamabad High Court (IHC) had acquitted Nawaz after relying on the same documents that supported Maryam’s acquittal.
Misbah read the short decision of Nawaz’s acquittal in the court and said, “NAB had not filed an appeal against the acquittal of Maryam Nawaz and if the main accused in the case was acquitted, the case could not proceed on the charge of aiding and abetting.” In the flagship reference, Nawaz was acquitted by the trial court after the NAB had withdrawn its appeal on November 29, 2023 against the decision of the trial court. “Now the decision of the accountability court is final. The third case was the Al-Azizia reference, the trial court sentenced Nawaz and on December 12, 2023, the IHC acquitted him in the Al-Azizia reference,” the counsel added.
The NAB official stated that the plea to extend Nawaz’s sentence had also been withdrawn. “The NAB did not even appeal to the Supreme Court against the acquittal decision,” said Misbah adding that even if all the evidence had been accepted, there’s no chance of sentencing.
Earlier, the same court had granted Nawaz’s sons a major relief by revoking its earlier order declaring them proclaimed offenders and cancelling their permanent arrest warrants. The court also admitted the plea for their acquittal and directed the NAB to present all records of the cases. Hassan and Hussain were granted relief after they surrendered themselves before the accountability court judge. The brothers returned to Pakistan on March 12 after the same judge suspended their arrest warrants on March 7.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports