This week You! collaborates with Chef Arooj Abbas who shares her special recipe of ‘Patakha Chicken’. This is an amazing chicken recipe and became popular because of a restaurant in Nathia Gali. It is super spicy and will tantalise your taste buds. Be sure to serve it with a yogurt-based chutney and lots of fresh cut lemons.
- Whole chicken fresh (approx. 1-1.5 kg)
- Bulbs of garlic (medium) 2
- Chilli flakes 4 tbsp
- Chilli flakes made from
- Kashmiri chilli 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying 1/2 cup
- Lemon wedges and naan to serve
- Take whole chicken and open it from breast side to make one piece and make deep cuts in flesh parts as shown in pictures in below steps.
- Wash garlic bulb thoroughly and crush it well without peeling it off. Add a tablespoon of water in it. Grab all of the crushed garlic in your hand and squeeze the juice out of it. It should make about 2 Tablespoons of garlic juice.
- Mix garlic juice with chili flakes and salt.
- Apply this mixture on the chicken thoroughly. Apply inside the cuts as well. You may apply some more chili flakes as well.
- Keep it in freezer for 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan with flat bottom according to the size of your chicken. Test the oil by throwing a small part of chicken in the oil. If it pops up the oil is ready.
- Lower the heat to medium and place the marinated chicken in the oil. The level of oil should be such that half of the chicken is dip in the oil. Do not cover while frying. Also, apply the left-over marinade (i.e flakes on the chicken).
- Fry over medium heat for 12 minutes. Flip the side and let the other side cook for 10 minutes.
- Take it out, strain the oil and strain out the left over chili flakes rich with chicken flavour in the oil and serve with the roast.