Out this week
- Changes by Justin Bieber: The fifth studio album by the Canadian singer; comes after 2015’s Purpose; includes the songs ‘Yummy’, ‘Intentions’ (featuring Quavo), ‘Second Emotion’ (featuring Travis Scott), ‘Get Me’ (featuring Kehlani), and ‘Forever’ (featuring Post Malone and Clever).
- The Slow Rush by Tame Impala: Fourth album by the Australian psychedelic rock act; follows Currents (2015); includes the singles ‘Borderline’, ‘It Might Be Time’, ‘Posthumous Forgiveness’, and ‘Lost in Yesterday’.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (starring Ben Schwartz, Jim Carrey, James Marsden) - adventure comedy, based on the video game franchise; Sonic (Schwartz) teams up with a small-town sheriff (Marsden) as he tries to escape a mad scientist (Carrey) and the government.
- Fantasy Island (starring Michael Peña, Maggie Q, Lucy Hale, Austin Stowell, Portia Doubleday) - horror, reimagining of the television series; guests at an island resort have to solve the island’s mystery in order to escape with their lives.
- The Photograph (starring Issa Rae, Lakeith Stanfield, Chelsea Peretti) - romance; the estranged daughter (Rae) of a famous photographer falls for the journalist (Stanfield) assigned to cover her late mother.
- Downhill (starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Will Ferrell, Miranda Otto) - comedy drama, remake of the film Force Majeure (2014); after barely escaping an avalanche during a family ski vacation, a married couple is forced to re-evaluate their lives.
- Julius Sharpe (@juliussharpe): The Oscars are so much better without a host, they should also stop giving out trophies.
- Joslyn Davis (@JoslynDavis): Why are Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig not starring in everything ever made ever?
- Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff): Green Book to Parasite in a year is some real whiplash.
92nd Academy Awards
- Best Picture: Parasite
- Director: Bong Joon-ho - Parasite
- Actor: Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
- Actress: Renee Zellweger - Judy
- Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Supporting Actress: Laura Dern - Marriage Story
- Original Screenplay: Parasite
- Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
- Animated Feature Film: Toy Story 4
- International Feature Film: Parasite
- Original Score: Joker
- Original Song: ‘(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again’ from Rocketman by Elton John
- Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
- Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari
- Sound Mixing: 1917
- Cinematography: 1917
- Visual Effects: 1917
For the complete list of winners, visit: oscar.go.com/winners
Cast: Song Kang-ho, Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam
Director: Bong Joon-ho
Tagline: Act like you own the place.
- Black comedy thriller; members of a poor family try to infiltrate a wealthy household by posing as highly qualified individuals.
- Deals with the themes of class conflict and social inequality.
- Had a budget of around $11 million; has made over $167 million.
- Has received critical acclaim, and is considered one of the greatest South Korean films ever made.
- Has become the first South Korean film to receive Academy Award recognition, as well as the first film not in the English language to win the Best Picture trophy.
- A television limited series based on the film is in development.