Out this week
- Sunsets & Full Moons by The Script: Sixth album by the Irish rock band; follows 2017’s Freedom Child; includes the singles ‘The Last Time’ and ‘Something Unreal’.
- Also out this week: the first part of American R&B artist Jason Derulo’s fifth album, 2Sides; English singer FKA Twigs’ sophomore release, Magdalene; and American country singer Luke Combs’ second studio release, What You See Is What You Get.
- Doctor Sleep (starring Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran) - horror, based on Stephen King’s 2013 sequel to The Shining (1977); still traumatized by his childhood, a now-adult Dan Torrance (McGregor) tries to protect a young girl (Curran) with similar powers from a cult.
- Playing with Fire (starring John Cena, Keegan-Michael Key, John Leguizamo) - comedy; a group of wildfire fighters rescue three rowdy kids.
- Last Christmas (starring Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Michelle Yeoh, Emma Thompson) - romantic comedy; while working as Santa’s elf for a department store, a woman (Clarke) meets a man (Golding) and her life takes a new turn.
- Midway (starring Ed Skrein, Patrick Wilson, Luke Evans, Woody Harrelson) - war drama; follows the story of US Navy sailors and aviators during World War II.
- Klaus (with the voices of Jason Schwartzman, J. K. Simmons) - animation, a fictional origin story of Santa Claus; a postman (Schwartzman) befriends a reclusive toy-maker (Simmons).
- Honey Boy (starring Lucas Hedges, Shia LaBeouf, Noah Jupe, FKA Twigs) - drama; based on actor Shia LaBeouf’s (Hedges) childhood and his relationship with his father (LeBeouf).
- Mahira Khan (@TheMahiraKhan): It angers me that an innocent man would kill himself because of being wrongly accused and it boils my blood that another can roam around free after raping someone. Whether you misuse the #MeToo movement or delay accountability on it, the result is the same - death.
- Mawra Hocane (@MawraHocane): One day you are, the other you aren’t. Be kind. Be kind. Be kind.
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Cast: Angelina Jolie, Michelle Pfeiffer, Elle Fanning, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sam Riley, Harris Dickinson, Ed Skrein, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, Lesley Manville
Director: Joachim R¿nning
- Fantasy; Maleficent (Jolie) and Aurora (Fanning) find themselves on opposite sides of an impending war.
- Is the sequel to the film Maleficent (2014), which was loosely inspired by Charles Perrault’s fairy tale and Walt Disney’s animated film Sleeping Beauty (1959).
- Was released nearly 60 years after the original Sleeping Beauty (1959).
- Had an estimated budget of $185 million; has grossed nearly $385 million in around three weeks, underperforming at the box office.
- Has generated mixed to negative reviews, receiving criticism for its plot and visuals.
- Is Angelina Jolie’s first live-action movie role since By the Sea (2015).
- Is one of 10 films released by Disney this year.
- Score composed by Geoff Zanelli.
Born today: SZA, Jessica Lowndes, Magda Apanowicz, Tara Reid, Gretchen Mol, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Gordon Ramsay, Richard Curtis, Alfre Woodard, Mary Hart, Bonnie Raitt