Out this week
- Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen: Fourth album by the Canadian singer; follows 2015’s Emotion; includes the singles ‘Party for One’, ‘Now That I Found You’, ‘No Drug Like Me’, and ‘Julien’.
- Father of Asahd by DJ Khaled: Eleventh album by the American hip hop producer; comes after Grateful (2017); includes the singles ‘Top Off’ (featuring Jay-Z, Future, and B) and ‘No Brainer’ (featuring Justin Bieber, Chance the Rapper, and Quavo) as well as collaborations with Cardi B, 21 Savage, Meek Mill, Nipsey Hussle, and John Legend.
- John Wick: Chapter 3 (starring Keanu Reeves, Halle Berry, Laurence Fishburne, Mark Dacascos) – action, third film in the series; hitman John Wick (Reeves) gets targeted by assassins after a $14 million contract is placed on his life.
- A Dog’s Journey (starring Dennis Quaid, Josh Gad, Marg Helgenberger, Betty Gilpin) – fantasy, sequel to the 2017 film A Dog’s Purpose; a dog finds the meaning of his own existence through the humans he meets.
- The Souvenir (starring Honor Swinton Byrne, Tom Burke, Tilda Swinton, Richard Ayoade) – drama; a young film student becomes involved with an untrustworthy man.
- The Tomorrow Man (starring John Lithgow, Blythe Danner) – drama; a man (Lithgow) obsessed with preparing for the apocalypse falls for a shopaholic woman (Danner).
Cast: Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Janelle Monáe, Blake Shelton, Wang Leehom, Pitbull, Wanda Sykes, Gabriel Iglesias, Emma Roberts, Bebe Rexha, Charli XCX, Lizzo
Director: Kelly Asbury
Tagline: A Classic UnderDOLL Story.
- Animation; the free-spirited UglyDolls confront what it means to be different.
- Based on the plush toys of the same name.
- Had an estimated budget of somewhere around $50 million; has made $15 million in nearly two weeks.
- Has been panned by critics, receiving very negative reviews that criticised the film for being a formulaic and derivative eyesore.
- The voice cast of this film comprises mostly of music artists, many of whom don’t have any major acting experiences.
- Features original music from the cast, including Kelly Clarkson’s song ‘Broken & Beautiful’.
- Score composed by Christopher Lennertz.
- Conan O’Brien (@ConanOBrien): I hate to get political on here, but if they’re the Super Mario Bros, then isn’t Mario their last name? So it’s Mario Mario and Luigi Mario? Anyway, end farm subsidies.
- Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais): Whatever side you’re on, our common ground should always be freedom of speech. At least then, we can still talk.
Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin
- Born on 17th May 1961 in Gweedore, County Donegal, Ireland.
- Is the fifth of nine children.
- Was born into a family of musicians.
- Several members of her family formed the Celtic band Clannad in the 1970s which Enya joined in 1980. Left the group in 1982 to pursue a solo career, forming a musical partnership with their manager Nicky Ryan as her producer and his wife Roma Ryan as her lyricist.
- Released her self-titled debut album Enya in 1987 followed by her sophomore album Watermark in 1988 which propelled her to worldwide fame.
- Has since released six more albums: Shepherd Moons (1991), The Memory of Trees (1995), A Day Without Rain (2000), Amarantine (2005), And Winter Came... (2008), and Dark Sky Island (2015).
- Has become one of the bestselling music artists of all time, and is Ireland’s bestselling solo artist.
- Has never undertaken a concert tour.
- Is known for her private lifestyle.
- Has never married.
- Is a surrogate aunt to the Ryans’ two daughters.
Also born today: Nikki Reed, Derek Hough, Andrea Corr, Trent Reznor, Simon Fuller, Bob Saget, Bill Paxton