Egypt train crash leaves 32 dead, dozens injured
Egypt has been plagued with deadly train accidents in recent years
In the latest deadly rail accident to hit the country, at least 32 people were killed and 66 injured Friday when two trains collided in southern Egypt, the health ministry said.
A statement said dozens of ambulances rushed to the scene in the Tahta district of Sohag province, some 460 kilometres (285 miles) south of the capital Cairo.
"32 people were killed and 66 injured" and transported to hospital, the statement said.
Video footage seen by AFP showed several carriages overturned.
Egypt has been plagued with deadly train accidents in recent years that have been widely blamed on inadequate infrastructure and poor maintenance.
One of the deadliest occurred in 2002 when 373 people died as a fire ripped through a crowded train south of Cairo, and there have been many fatal crashes since.
In March last year, at least 13 people were injured when two passenger trains collided in Cairo, triggering a brief suspension of rail services nationwide.
At the time rail managers blamed the crash on signals not functioning in bad weather.
And in February 2019, a train derailed and caught fire at Cairo's main railway station killing more than 20 people and prompting the transport minister to resign.
Friday's crash comes as Egypt faces another major transport challenge, with a giant container ship blocking the Suez Canal and causing huge traffic jams at either end of the strategic shipping lane.
The MV Ever Given, which is longer than four football fields, has been wedged diagonally across the entire canal since Tuesday, shutting the waterway in both directions.
Tugboats and dredgers were working Friday to free the vessel as companies were forced to re-route services from the vital shipping lane around the southern tip of Africa.
-
Daniel Radcliffe wants son to see him as just dad, not Harry Potter
-
Nancy Guthrie kidnapped with 'blessings' of drug cartels
-
Heavy snowfall disrupts operations at Germany's largest Airport
-
France sees record 102mn international tourists in 2025
-
ICE deports Congolese mother despite fears she could be killed
-
Keir Starmer appoints 'Dame Antonia Romeo' as first female head of UK service
-
Russia sounds alarm over Iran tension as US forces surge in region
-
France on red alert: Storm Pedro batters southwest following record 35 day rain streak