The Punjab government has decided to educate students about incidents of sexual abuse in schools across the province including the provincial capital, Lahore.
The move has been initiated by the Department of School Education Punjab, which issued instructions to educational authorities across all provincial districts in this regard.
According to the department's notification, there is concern over the increasing cases of violence against children.
Students, the notification read, have to be sensitised on this issue, while teachers and school heads should conduct lectures to prevent violence against children.
The department's notification mentioned that children will be educated about avoiding suspicious persons and on sexual harassment, while details regarding violence against children will be sought from students in schools across the province.
Earlier this month, the Punjab home department shared that more boys than girls become victims of such crimes, as the instances of sexual abuse of children rise.
A report compiled on the numeration of such cases from January to June 15, 2023, revealed that in a span of less than six months, 1,390 cases of child abuse were reported in the province — a harrowing number in itself but made worse by further revelations.
According to the report, around 69% (959 cases) of the reported cases involved minor boys, while the remaining 31% (431 cases) involved girls.
Yet more disturbing were revelations of the perpetrators.
Moreover, the report stated that of those facing trials, 55% were the victims' neighbours, 13% were relatives, and 32% were strangers.
Regarding the city-wise prevalence of child abuse cases, the report stated that most rape cases in Punjab were registered in Gujranwala, where 220 cases were reported.
Rawalpindi and Lahore reported the lowest rape cases at 69 and 89, respectively.
Furthermore, DG Khan reported 199 incidents; Faisalabad 186; Multan 140; Bahawalpur 129; Sheikhupura 128; Sahiwal 127; and Sargodha 103.
"ECP resolved issues raised by the Pakistan Peoples Party in Sindh," says Siddiqui
PML-N stalwart says PTI leaders won't be able to show their faces to anyone if audios linked to May 9 riots are exposed
Former PML-N leader refutes media reports claiming he was in talks with PPP to join Bilawal Bhutto-led party
Finance secretary says disbursement of funds requires approval at various levels
"All the political parties are mine and I am the governor of all," says Sindh governor
SC judge requests his two constitutional petitions be placed before three-member committee so that it is fixed for a...