Judge recuses himself from hearing plea against Basant
LAHORE: Justice Atir Mahmood of the Lahore High Court on Thursday refused to hear a petition challenging the provincial government’s decision to allow Basant celebrations and sent it back to the chief justice for fixation before any other bench. Justice Atir Mahmood refused to hear the petition due to his unavailability at the principal seat of the high court. Advocate Safdar Shaheen Pirzada had filed the petition contending that Basant had never been a celebration, sport or enjoyment rather it had become one of the most potent uncontrollable, violent and terror, which caused loss of human lives in Lahore and other big cities of the province. He said that Basant was an activity in which kite-flying takes place at all hotels, roofs and important places but unfortunately kite-flying is not conducted with simple twine rather with chemical coated twine that is quite detrimental and within the couple of seconds cut throats of a person. He said people, including children riding or travelling on motorcycles, had been the victims of kite-flying as most of them could not survive after the killer twine cut their throats. The lawyer pleaded that the Constitution recognises and ensures movement of individuals freely, fairly, without any fear or obstruction except areas declared prohibited for common person for security reasons, but in this sort of activity the liberty as well as independent movement of all pedestrians as well as motorcyclists would be at stake.
However, he said, the government never implement the rules despite a direction by the Supreme Court. The lawyer asked the court to restrain the provincial government from celebrating Basant in the interest of justice and fair play as it will create chaos and destruction of so many valuable lives, including infant, motorcyclists, pedestrians and others.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’