Aisam to have a new doubles partner
ISLAMABAD: Aisamul Haq Qureshi will have a new doubles partner in Santiago Gonzalez Torre of Mexico going into the 2019 professional tennis season.
Talking to media here at the PTF Complex before playing an exhibition match, Aisam said his 2018 season did not go the way he desired.
“Santiago will be my new doubles partner going into the next season. He is a quality player and hopefully we will make a good team,” he said.
Aisam will leave for China today (Friday) to start training for the upcoming season. “You have to start training months before the start of international commitments. I am looking forward to a much improved performance in the coming season as compared to the last one.”
To a question about his plan on representing Pakistan in the Davis Cup, Aisam said he would continue to represent the country as long as he could.
“I am 38 and still feel good about my tennis. Playing for my country is the foremost priority for me. Even if I have to forego international events, I will represent Pakistan in all leading international events.”
Aisam, who has been training at the newly-laid PTF Complex hard-courts for the last couple of days, was impressed with the standard of the surface. “I have been playing international tennis all over the world for more than two decades now. The PTF Complex courts are one of the best I have seen.”
The former Australian and US Open doubles runner-up was happy to see all the three facilities — hard, clay and grass courts — at a stone’s throw from each other.
“These facilities are available in and around the PTF Complex which is great for the tennis fraternity and youngsters who are pursuing tennis as a career. Such facilities are needed to promote the game.”
Aisam praised PTF President Salim Saifullah Khan for making these facilities ready for the youth.
The former Asian No 1 hoped that the government under Imran Khan would take all necessary steps to promote sports in the country.
“Now when the country is being run by a sportsman, I am hopeful that every effort would be made to extend all possible facilities to the youth.”
Aisam also hoped that top national and international players’ input would be sought while finalising recommendations of the task force on sports.
“No one has so far contacted us. But I believe that before implementing the task force’s recommendations, international and national players would be consulted. Our input will be of big value for the task force,” he said.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'