Two leading figures from Guinea protest movement arrested
CONAKRY: Guinean security forces have arrested two prominent figures from the months-long protest movement against president Alpha Conde´s plans to seek a third term, their entourage said.
Ibrahima Diallo and Sekou Koundouno had given a press conference earlier on Friday to condemn the arbitrary arrest of other activists, said Abdoulaye Oumou Sow, a spokesperson for the National Front for the Defence of the Constitution (FNDC).
Masked men belonging to the BRI security service broke into Diallo´s house later Friday, Sow and Diallo´s wife said, ransacking the premises before taking the two away.
They have not been heard from since, according to Diallo´s wife.
Diallo and Koundouno are close to Abdourahmane Sanoh, the leader of the FNDC.
Comptroller General and police spokesman Mamadou Camara said he was “unaware” of any raid, and that the BRI reported directly to the prime minister, not the police.
Guinea has been rocked by months of protests over proposed constitutional reforms that many fear will reset presidential term limits — allowing Conde to run for a third spell in office later this year.
At least 30 protesters and one gendarme have been killed to date, according to an AFP tally.
A French journalist was escorted to the border Friday after his accreditation was revoked, the security ministry said in a statement.
Thomas Dietrich had undertaken “activities incompatible with that of a journalist” and been involved in “political activities likely to undermine public order”, the statement said.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child