SHC refers May 12 riots case to CJ on plea for larger bench
KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Wednesday ordered that the May 12 riots case be referred to the high court’s chief justice to decide the application seeking the constitution of a larger bench for hearing.
The court was hearing the plea seeking a judicial inquiry into the case. The petitioner, Iqbal Kazmi, who had withdrawn his petition on November 19, 2007, approached the court after the restoration of the pre-November 3, 2007, judiciary for reopening the case.
The SHC’s division bench headed by Justice Mohammad Iqbal Kalhoro observed that the matter has been heard in part by another bench so the matter should be placed before the chief justice for an appropriate decision.
On the application regarding the constitution of a larger bench for hearing, as the matter was previously heard by a larger bench, the court was informed that it had earlier directed the office to place the matter before the chief justice of the SHC, but no order has been passed.
The court directed the office to place the matter before the chief justice so that an appropriate order can be passed on the application for the constitution of a larger bench, and then adjourned the hearing until June 20.
On June 1 the court had directed the provincial prosecutor general to submit a detailed report on the action taken against the people involved in the riots case.
More than 50 people were killed on May 12, 2007, in different parts of the metropolis in violence and armed attacks on political parties and lawyers’ rallies that wished to welcome the then chief justice of Pakistan (CJP) Iftikhar Chaudhry, who was visiting the city to attend the Sindh High Court Bar Association’s golden jubilee celebrations.
Narrating the incidents of May 12, 2007, Kazmi said in the petition that the then home secretary and police chief had violated the court’s order for providing security to Chaudhry during his visit to Karachi, adding that mobs had laid siege to buildings of the high court and the city courts and manhandled lawyers.
He said the government had failed to protect the lives, liberties, freedom of movement and other fundamental rights of the citizens, requesting the court to initiate contempt proceedings against the then home adviser Waseem Akhtar for issuing derogatory remarks against the CJP.
The petition requested the court that an inquiry be conducted under the supervision of a high court judge, cases be lodged against the people involved in the May 12 violence and senior government officials be sacked for their failure to perform their duties in accordance with the law and the Constitution.
It is pertinent to mention here that former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf, Muttahida Qaumi Movement-London chief Altaf Hussain, the then home adviser Waseem Akhtar, the then home secretary Ghulam Mohammad Mohtram, the then interior secretary, the then Sindh Rangers director general, the then provincial inspector general of police Niaz Siddiqui, the then Capital City Police officer Azhar Farooqui and the then City Courts police station’s station house officer have been named as respondents in the petition.
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?