US declares MML, TAK terrorist outfits
WASHINGTON: In an expected move, the US State Department on Monday included the Milli Muslim League (MML) and Tehreek-e-Azadi-e- Kashmir (TAK) to its list Foreign Terrorist Organisation (FTO) while identifying both as the front organisations of the Lashkar-e-Taiba.
“Today’s amendments show that the US government is not fooled by Lashkar-e-Taiba’s efforts to circumvent sanctions and deceive the public about its true character,” Ambassador Nathan Sales, the coordinator for Counterterrorism at the State Department said in a statement. “Make No mistake: whatever the LeT chooses to call itself, it remains a violent terrorist group. The United States supports all efforts to ensure that the LeT does not have a political voice until it gives up violence as a tool of influence,” the statement further said.
The amended FTO designated list already has the Lashkar-e-Taiba on it. The inclusion of Milli Muslim League was suggested late last year during an India-US conference. Meanwhile, the US Treasury Department has also added seven members of the MML’s council to the list of Specially Designated Global Terrorists. These seven members were identified as Saifullah Khalid, Muzammil Iqbal Hashimi, Muhammad Harris Dar, Tabish Qayyum, Fayyaz Ahmad, Faisal Nadeem and Muhammad Ehsan. Lashkar-e-Taiba was added to the Foreign Terrorist Organisation list in December 2001. Its founder, Hafiz Saeed, is considered a terrorist and has a 10 million dollars bounty on him. Tehreek-e- Azadi-e-Kashmir was formed last year after the Pakistani government banned Jamaatud Dawa.
The MML sprang up earlier last year, and its efforts to take part in elections were blocked by the Pakistani government. LeT members make up MML’s leadership and the so-called party openly displays Saeed’s likeness in its election banners and literature, the department noted.
These designations are the latest in a series of steps by the Trump administration to pressure Pakistan to act against terrorist groups.
-
Lainey Wilson, Devlin Hodges Reveal One Restriction They Lifted On Wedding Day -
Pentagon Halts Long-standing Canada-US Defence Board Amid Tensions -
Trump ‘holds Off’ Iran Strike But Warns Military To Stay Ready -
Elsie Hewitt 'feels Shattered' After Pete Davidson's Cruel Side Exposed -
Father Of 8, Killed In San Diego Mosque Shooting 'sacrificed His Life' To Protect Others -
Mark Fuhrman, Key Detective In OJ Simpson Case, Dies From Throat Cancer -
How Queen Camilla Serves As King Charles ‘ironclad Courage’ -
Three Worshippers Killed In San Diego Mosque Shooting As Police Probe 'hate Crime' -
Bob Odenkirk Recalls Surviving Heart Attack On 'Better Call Saul' Set -
Meta Outlines Sweeping Layoffs Amid AI-driven Restructuring In Internal Memo -
Ariel Winter Makes Stunning Confession About Her Relationship With 'Modern Family' Costar Nolan Gould -
King Charles Failed Attempts To ‘please’ Prince Philip Laid Bare -
Anthropic’s Mythos Data Sharing Plan Sparks New Cybersecurity Risk -
Prince William Has Barred Two Royals From Promotions -
Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang Hints China Market May Open To US Chipmakers -
John Travolta Breaks Down At Cannes While Remembering Late Wife Kelly Preston