Wartime Bosnian Muslim commander arrested on warcrimes charges
Police arrested Bosnian Muslim wartime commander Atif Dudakovic and 11 senior members of his Corps on Friday on suspicion of committing crimes against humanity during Bosnia´s 1992-95 war.
SARAJEVO: Police arrested Bosnian Muslim wartime commander Atif Dudakovic and 11 senior members of his Corps on Friday on suspicion of committing crimes against humanity during Bosnia´s 1992-95 war.
The arrests were ordered as part of a long running major investigation into wartime abuses, the state prosecutor´s office said in a statement.
Those detained are suspected of killing several hundred Bosnian Serb civilians and prisoners of war in 1995, it said.
The Dudakovic investigation includes interviews with more than 100 witnesses, video footage, wartime documentation and evidence from exhumations, it added.
Dudakovic has previously dismissed the accusations as politically motivated and said the video footage was fabricated.
The charges also include offences allegedly committed in 1994 against Muslims led by renegade leader Fikret Abdic.
He set up a breakaway province around the western town of Velika Kladusa when he broke ranks with the Sarajevo government which turned into Muslim-versus-Muslim fighting.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi flags China ‘Coercion,’ pledges defence security overhaul
-
Angorie Rice spills the beans on major details from season 2 of ' The Last Thing He Told Me'
-
Teacher arrested after confessing to cocaine use during classes
-
Milo Ventimiglia recalls first meeting with Arielle Kebbel on the sets of 'Gilmore Girls' amid new project
-
Leading astrophysicist shot dead at southern California home
-
Will Savannah Guthrie ever return to 'Today' show? Here's what insiders predict
-
Amazon can be sued over sodium nitrite suicide cases, US court rules
-
Patrick Dempsey reveals Eric Dane's condition in final days before death