Iran and Pakistan hold late-night talks amid renewed US-Iran negotiations
Araghchi and Field Marshal Munir reportedly discussed regional tensions and ongoing mediation efforts aimed at ending the conflict.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held talks with Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Forces, Field Marshal Asim Munir, in Tehran as diplomatic efforts continue to prevent further escalation between Iran, the United States and Israel.
According to Iran’s Tasnim news agency, the meeting took place on Friday night and “lasted until late at night”.
The two officials reportedly discussed regional tensions and ongoing mediation efforts aimed at ending the conflict.
The agency reported that the pair “exchanged views on the latest diplomatic efforts and initiatives to prevent [an] escalation of tensions” and end the US-Israeli war.
Field Marshal Munir has played a central role in Pakistan’s mediation efforts between Tehran and Washington.
He previously helped broker a ceasefire on April 8, earning praise from Iranian officials and US President Donald Trump.
A Pakistani official told Turkiye’s Anadolu news agency that the field marshal’s latest visit focused on progress in mediated talks between Iran and the US, as well as other “important issues”.
The visit comes as Iran reviews a new proposal from Washington. However, Iranian officials have downplayed expectations of an immediate breakthrough.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday that only “slight progress” had been made in recent talks with Iran.
-
Marco Rubio defends US troop deployments as NATO allies express concern
-
UN nuclear nonproliferation talks conclude without consensus on Iran and disarmament
-
Mark Carney pushes unity as Alberta announces plan for a separation referendum
-
China coal mine explosion leaves eight dead and dozens trapped
-
Lauren Sánchez Bezos reveals how she felt 'embarrassed' in news anchoring career due to dyslexia
-
Trump holds Iran crisis talks with national security team amid ongoing negotiations
-
China's to debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' in June
-
Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
