At least 10 people killed in shooting at South Africa, manhunt underway
Authorities informed that the investigation continues as the motive of the attack is still unclear
At least 10 people had been dead and several injured after some armed men opened fire at a tavern in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Sunday, December 21, 2025.
According to the statement released by police officials, "It is reported that about 12 unknown suspects in a white kombi and a silver sedan opened fire at tavern patrons and continued to shoot randomly as they fled the scene."
The South African public broadcaster SABC reported that the unknown attackers opened fire on patrons of the tavern and people in the streets outside.
“We are still busy obtaining statements. Our national crime and management team has arrived,” SABC reported, quoting Fred Kekana, acting police commissioner of Gauteng.
Moreover, the police informed that the provincial crime scene management team has arrived, along with a team from the local criminal record centre.
"Our serious crime investigating team, crime intelligence, and the provincial crime detective team is investigating the scene,” informed South African police officials.
“Ten people are dead. We don’t have a breakdown of who they are,” Brigadier Brenda Muridili, police spokesperson for Gauteng province, told the AFP news agency.
The police officials said a manhunt is under way for those involved in the shooting, as the motive for the attack was not immediately clear.
-
China confirms visa-free travel for UK, Canada nationals
-
Bad Bunny's star power explodes tourism searches for his hometown
-
Murder suspect kills himself after woman found dead in Missouri
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
