ABC News settles $15m defamation suit with Donald Trump
US news organisation, anchor George Stephanopoulos will also issue public apologies to president-elect
ABC News will pay a $15 million settlement payment to resolve a defamation lawsuit brought by United States President-elect Donald Trump, according to court documents filed Saturday.
The lawsuit stemmed from on-air comments made by top anchor George Stephanopoulos, who said Trump was found "liable for rape" during an interview with US Representative Nancy Mace that aired in March.
The terms of the settlement require ABC News to make a $15 million donation to a fund dedicated to "a presidential foundation and museum" for Trump.
The news organisation and Stephanopoulos will also issue public apologies saying they "regret statements" made about Trump during the aforementioned interview, and the broadcaster will pay an addition $1 million in attorney fees.
The case was settled one day after Judge Lisette M Reid requested depositions from both Trump and Stephanopoulos.
Trump had been found liable for sexual abuse — a different transgression from rape under New York law — in a 2023 case filed by writer E Jean Carroll.
The settlement marks the latest victory in Trump's string of legal fortune since winning the November 5 presidential election.
Last month, a US appeals court granted the dismissal of charges for Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents upon exiting the White House.
US Special Counsel Jack Smith also paused a second federal case regarding Trump's efforts to subvert the 2020 election results, although Trump faces racketeering charges over the same issue in a case out of Georgia.
And for Trump's May conviction in the hush money case — the only criminal charges against him to go to trial — Judge Juan Merchan has indefinitely postponed sentencing.
-
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs as 'unlawful'
-
Kelly Clarkson explains decision to quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show'
-
Japan: PM Takaichi flags China ‘Coercion,’ pledges defence security overhaul
-
Angorie Rice spills the beans on major details from season 2 of ' The Last Thing He Told Me'
-
Teacher arrested after confessing to cocaine use during classes
-
Milo Ventimiglia recalls first meeting with Arielle Kebbel on the sets of 'Gilmore Girls' amid new project
-
Leading astrophysicist shot dead at southern California home
-
Will Savannah Guthrie ever return to 'Today' show? Here's what insiders predict