Vietnam evacuates 59,000 as toll from Typhoon Yagi climbs to 127
Floodwaters in Hanoi have reached levels not seen since 2008 as 764 people injured, 64 missing
HANOI: Tens of thousands of people were forced to flee their homes on Tuesday as massive floods inundated northern Vietnam in the wake of Typhoon Yagi, and the death toll climbed to 127.
Yagi struck Saturday bringing winds in excess of 149 kilometres (92 miles) per hour and a deluge of rain that has caused flooding not seen in decades, according to locals.
More than 59,000 people have been forced to evacuate their homes in Yen Bai province, local authorities said Tuesday, after the floodwaters engulfed almost 18,000 homes.
Nearly 764 people have been injured, according to the disaster management agency.
Floodwaters in Hanoi have reached levels not seen since 2008, state media reported, citing a senior local official, and forecasters have warned more is expected in the city´s historic centre.
Phan Thi Tuyet, 50, who lives close to the swollen and fast-moving Red River which runs through the capital, said she had never experienced such high water.
"I have lost everything, all gone," she told AFP, clutching her two dogs as she was evacuated by boat, along with other residents whose homes were flooded.
"I had to come to higher ground to save our lives. We could not bring any of the furniture with us. Everything is under water now."
Typhoons in the region are forming closer to the coast, intensifying more rapidly, and staying over land longer due to climate change, according to a study published in July.
Yagi downed bridges, tore roofs off buildings, damaged factories and triggered widespread flooding and landslides, leaving 64 people still missing.
Hanoi authorities said more than 25,000 trees in the city had been uprooted in the storm. Huge trunks blocked key roads in the city centre, creating large traffic jams.
The north of the country — densely populated and a major manufacturing hub for global tech firms including Samsung — was badly hit, with floodwaters in the city of Yen Bai at record levels, meteorologists said.
Authorities have issued flood and landslide warnings for 401 communes across 18 northern provinces.
One-storey homes in parts of Thai Nguyen and Yen Bai cities were almost completely submerged in the early hours of Tuesday, with residents waiting on the roofs for help.
Rescuers were trying to reach residential areas to retrieve old people and children. On social media, relatives of those stuck in floodwater posted desperate pleas for help and supplies in the early hours of the morning.
Crops including bananas, guavas and corn — which are usually sold in nearby markets — were all flooded.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi flags China ‘Coercion,’ pledges defence security overhaul
-
Angorie Rice spills the beans on major details from season 2 of ' The Last Thing He Told Me'
-
Teacher arrested after confessing to cocaine use during classes
-
Milo Ventimiglia recalls first meeting with Arielle Kebbel on the sets of 'Gilmore Girls' amid new project
-
Leading astrophysicist shot dead at southern California home
-
Will Savannah Guthrie ever return to 'Today' show? Here's what insiders predict
-
Amazon can be sued over sodium nitrite suicide cases, US court rules
-
Patrick Dempsey reveals Eric Dane's condition in final days before death