close
Thursday June 13, 2024

Man confesses to killing four women but claims not responsible

Killer's lawyers claimed he should not be held criminally responsible due to an unspecified mental disorder he had been suffering from

By Web Desk
May 07, 2024
The sketch of Jeremy Skibicki while he attends the court. — Canadian Press
The sketch of Jeremy Skibicki while he attends the court. — Canadian Press

A man has admitted to killing four women in 2022, including Morgan Harris, Rebecca Contois, Marcedes Myran, and an unidentified woman referred to as Mashkode Bizhiki'ikwe or Buffalo Woman. The family of one of the deceased expressed shock over his confession.

Jeremy Skibicki's admission came in a case that has already seen several twists and turns. Appearing before Court of King's Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal, the killer's lawyers claimed he should not be held criminally responsible due to an unspecified mental disorder he had been suffering from.

The family of Morgan Harris expressed their shock and outrage at the admission. The family vowed to continue fighting for justice.

"This man has killed four of our women, and he will be held responsible," Melissa Robinson, a cousin of Morgan Harris. "It's been all about justice for my cousin, and we're going to get it."

"Concluding this matter before a jury does pose some challenges," said prosecutor Christian Vanderhooft.

"We are no longer concerned with proving the accused has committed these offences, but rather whether he is criminally responsible."

Accepting a plea of his lawyers, the judge said that the question of Skibicki's mental capacity and intent would now be the focus of the trial.

Skibicki’s lawyer Leonard Tailleur said that the defence plans to call an expert to speak to the not criminally responsible defence.

"We're prepared for every eventuality ... we're ready to go," he told reporters.

Vanderhooft told the court that a copy of the defence's expert opinion report had been received and Crown plans to bring in its expert to refute the findings.

Skibicki's lawyers have an uphill task, said one law professor.

"This is not a case where there's a single victim, a single moment in time. This is a situation involving four victims across presumably a lengthier period of time," said Brandon Trask, an assistant professor of law at the University of Manitoba.

"I expect we'll see a number of experts called."

The case has drawn attention to the epidemic of violence against women, with many calling for strict action to address the issue.

The 37-year-old serial killer's admission is a significant development in the case. However, the family and community are clear that the fight for justice is far from over. As the case proceeds, they will continue to advocate for the victims and their loved ones, seeking justice and healing from the traumas facing them.