Inside Prince Harry's UK stay: Hotel or uncle's Althorp estate?

The Duke of Sussex has not been offered to stay at royal palace: report

By Shehzad Hameed
|
September 09, 2025
The Duke of Sussex has not been offered to stay at royal palace: report

Prince Harry landed at Heathrow Airport on Monday morning to attend The Wellchild Awards 2025 in London as a patron of the charity.

The Duke of Sussex is reported to have not been offered a place at a royal palace and is said to be staying at a hotel at his own expense during his four-day tour to the country of his birth.

Advertisement

It is still not confirmed whether the Duke will see his father King Charles III, with whom he has a troubled relationship. However, Harry travelled to Windsor soon after landing in London to lay flowers at the late Queen’s grave, marking the third anniversary of her death.

Harry arrived in Nottingham on his second day of engagements, showing his support for BBC Children in Need.

With reports suggesting the Duke may opt to stay at Althorp House, his late mother Princess Diana’s ancestral family home.

The Duke has visited his homeland a number of times since quitting royal life and he’s said to have found his “UK haven” for his trips. The 40-year-old royal reportedly stays at Althorp – the 13,000-acre estate in West Northamptonshire – and is likely to be back there this time.

Harry’s uncle Earl Charles Spencer still lives at the estate and is believed to have hosted Harry before on a previous visit to the UK. William's younger brother is believed to get on well with his uncle, which would make Althorp a desirable place for the prince to stay.

Speaking to Express UK last week, royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams said: “It is possible that Harry may visit Althorp on his visit. He has remained close to his uncle."

Another likely option for Prince Harry is a stay at a luxury hotel in London - something he has done before. This is a good option for the prince, especially as the security is likely to be sufficient to ensure his safety.

It is worth mentioning here hat Frogmore Cottage used to be a guaranteed place for Harry and Meghan to stay on trips to the UK, with the couple having been gifted the Windsor property by the late Queen after their 2018 wedding.

However, three years after stepping down as senior royals, the keys to the royal house were handed back by the couple after they were requested to vacate following the publication of Harry’s 2023 memoir Spare.

The King, who is currently at Balmoral in Aberdeenshire with Camilla, is said to be leaving for London. Harry and Charles last met face to face more than a year and a half ago when the Duke made a transatlantic dash to see the monarch in February 2024 after hearing of his cancer diagnosis.

The father-son duo spent just over 30 minutes together before the King left to recuperate in Sandringham.

Harry has previously admitted: "Of course, some members of my family will never forgive me for writing a book. Of course, they will never forgive me for lots of things."

Advertisement