Shadab, Shaheen sizzle as Taylor helps NZ post 266-9
KARACHI: Young leggie Shadab Khan took three wickets within a span of just four balls to help Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 266-9 in their opening One-day International in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday but it was veteran all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez, who was in the spotlight, for the wrong reason.
With New Zealand in the process of resurrecting their innings after twin strikes by pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi, seasoned batsman Ross Taylor tried to put Hafeez on the back foot by gesturing to the umpires that the spinner was chucking.
Taylor’s actions stirred quite a controversy both on and off the field with Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed clearly miffed by the batsman’s move to publicly question the legality of Hafeez’s bowling action.
The umpires Shozab Raza and Joel Wilson also got involved and had a chat with Taylor. As well as how it impacts how the officials view Hafeez’s action, Taylor could face the possibility of sanctions himself. They may not relate to dissent but there is a clause in the ICC rulebook that deals with players’ on-field behavior.
Fans, meanwhile, took to the social media to discuss the incident which happened during the 18th over when Hafeez was bowling at Taylor, the man who helped the Black Caps bounce back from 78-3 with a 112-ball 80. He put up a partnership of 130 runs for the fourth wicket with Tom Latham who scored 68 from 64 balls.
New Zealand were at one stage threatening to get somewhere near the 300-run mark but Shadab Khan took three wickets in four balls to keep them at bay. Shadab finished with 4-38. Shaheen Afridi took 4-46.
Though Hafeez went wicketless, giving away 23 from six overs, he was singled out by Taylor during the innings.In may this year, the 37-year-old was cleared by the International Cricket Council (ICC) to return to bowling at international level after remodelling his action. He was reported for a suspect bowling action during an ODI against Sri Lanka in Abu Dhabi last October, with an assessment finding it illegal for the third time in his career. He underwent remodelling of his action and had a re-assessment of his bowling action last month.
The ICC has made it clear that officials are still at liberty to report Hafeez in the future if they believe he is displaying a suspect action and not reproducing the legal action from the reassessment.
-
Hilary Duff’s Son Roasts Her Outfit In New Album Interview -
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
David, Victoria Beckham Gushes Over 'fiercely Loyal' Son Cruz On Special Day -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027