Pakistan screens hundreds; suspends Iran flights
By News Desk
KARACHI: Pakistani authorities were scrambling on Thursday to screen hundreds of people who had recently arrived from Iran, a major new hotspot for coronavirus, after Islamabad confirmed its first two infections.
The government also announced suspension of all flights to and from Iran, reported Geo News. Officials in Karachi, where one of the two cases was detected, said they were also working to ensure a supply of face masks as prices shot up. At least one of the two cases announced on Wednesday, a 22-year-old man in Karachi, appeared to have contracted the virus in Iran, authorities have said. The government had now collected the data for 1,500 people in Sindh who had arrived in Pakistan from Iran recently, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah told a press conference. “They would be screened diligently until they are cleared,” Shah said, adding authorities were contacting each to gauge their level of exposure and asking them all to remain at home for 15 days as a precaution.
It was unclear how many more people were being screened throughout the country. Shah also said the provincial government was working with local surgical mask importers and manufacturers to ensure a supply for the province.
There are growing fears in Pakistan—sandwiched between China and Iran, both hotspots for the disease—over how the country would deal with the outbreak. Schools were closed in Sindh and in Balochistan province, bordering Iran, on Thursday. The cost of surgical masks had already risen nearly tenfold in Karachi, from 180 rupees ($1.16) to 1,400 rupees, ($9.09) per box of 50 masks.
“A lot of buyers are coming to us... but the stocks are gone,” said Noman Qureshi, a shop owner in a medical market in downtown Karachi.
-
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Gemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos