HBL football team disbanded
KARACHI: As was expected Habib Bank Limited (HBL) on Monday disbanded its football team, insiders confirmed to ‘The News’.
“Yes, the team has been disbanded today,” a source said.
“As per instructions, 15 footballers came to the HBL headquarters at 11am today and at 12pm they were handed over cheques of different amounts,” the source said.
Ibrahim, Adil and Abdul Salam had been associated with the department for 10 years. The rest of the players had been attached with it for five to six years.
Former Pakistan skipper Ali Nawaz Baloch condemned HBL’s decision. “It is a total injustice with the players who sacrificed their life by playing for the department for so many years,” Ali Nawaz told ‘The News’. “What would these players do now having passed their prime,” the former PIA striker said.
“HBL always proved to be tough opponents in the national league. Some of their players also played in international circuit. If these organisations don’t support football how will we be able to promote this game,” Ali said. This is the second football team which has been disbanded during the last couple of years. In 2013, Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited (ZTBL) team had been disbanded when they got relegated from the Premier League.
A source also revealed that cheques for table tennis players had also been prepared. “I think they have been invited tomorrow,” the source said. International table tennis players Shabnam Bilal, Ghalia Khursheed, Rahila Kashif, Sadia Yaseen and Maleeha Khursheed represent HBL. HBL are reigning national champions in table tennis.
The source also said that 11 senior cricketers would also be laid off.
-
Canadiens Beat Sabres In Game 5 To Move One Win From Playoff Series Victory -
Mike Tindall Shares Heartfelt Note For Wife Zara Amid Prince William's Major Plans For Cousin -
Ex-OpenAI CTO Mira Murati’s New AI Does Something Most Others Can't -
Millions React After Arianna Roberson, Cooper Flagg Confirm Dating Rumors -
Sienna Miller Opens Up About Struggles After Becoming A Mother -
‘No Trust In Americans’: Araqchi Says Negotiations Will Occur Only If US Is Serious -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Set To Open ‘very Explosive’ Pandora’s Box With His Death -
Prince William Holds Key Decision Until Kate Middleton's Return From Italy -
Argentum AI Signs $2.5 Billion European Data Center Partnership: Here’s What It Means -
Hantavirus Outbreak: Could It Be New Pandemic Threat Like COVID? Experts Weigh In -
King Charles Makes Key Appointment Aimed At Healing Prince William, Harry's Rift -
Scarlett Johansson Reveals How ‘supportive’ Beauty Keeps Her ‘grounded’ -
Is Software Engineering Roles Disappearing In 2026? -
Queen Margrethe Hospitalization Sparks Reactions -
Jensen Huang’s Beijing Street Food Moment Goes Viral Amid Trump-Xi 2026 Summit -
US Has Only 12-24 Months To Beat China In AI Race: Here’s Why